Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unique ideas for tagging items to sell

Posted by denised (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 06 at 10:50

I've just begun to try and get into selling trash to treasure items and some items that are more crafty. At this point I have more crafty items than trash to treasure because garage sale and flea market season doesn't start here again until it warms up. Then I will be able to look for items for trash to treasure. I'm looking for ideas on a creative way to tag my items. For example, at a local store some items had been tagged using old playing cards. I thought this was a unique way to price. I'd appreciate any ideas you've seen. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unique ideas for tagging items to sell

I really like the prim tags. You can personalize them in different ways. I was just in a antique store and she has the neatest stuff. She had all her stuff tagged with different pieces of wallpaper sqares. She had them folded into, then had the price inside. I done some made from brown paper bags, and used decorative scissors to cut them out and used a rubber stamp on them. There's lot's of neat graphics you can use to decorate with. I'll have to give this some more thought. Hope you get more ideas.

o

Thanks for the wallpaper and brown paper bag ideas. I can see either one working well. What are prim tags? I like the idea of personalizing. That is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish with how I decide to tag my stuff.

o

Here's some tips and ideas for prim tags. You can personalize them in so many ways:
http://www.primgraphics.com/freetags.htm
http://sassafrashillprimitives.us/supplies.html
http://www.clothdollsupply.com/tips.html
You can get more ideas by doing a google search.
Hope these help.

o

How about using those cardboard tags with string attached to them through a metal ring on the tag? Just kindof old fashioned way of tagging prices onto the item!
Easy and cheap. Could also make a stamp of your own......kindof like a "brand" cut from foam and used to stamp each one?
Hope you find something unique........Julie

o

What about scrapbook paper? There are hundreds of various prints and patterns available at scrapbook specialty stores or even just the big craft stores. Find one that you really like and let it be your signature print. Just cut the paper into little squares and attach with tape or string.

o

I found some pretty handmade scrapbook paper and better yet I got it for 40% off. I ordered a rubber stamp that says "Vintage Gal" in a fun script and has a flower graphic. My plan is to stamp a square of paper and attach with jute/string. I decided to use "Vintage Gal" as my trade/business name. What do you think?

o

I saw a dealer a while back who used cards from a Monopoly game as her business card (rumber stamped on back with her contact info). I think you could use something like that for a price tag. I sell (antiques, collectibles, & trash to treasures I make)at two different Antique Malls in the NW Atlanta area.

o

denised, Love your idea. I like the name "Vintage Gal."

o

I think you have found "your tags." Hurray for you. I too like "Vintage Gal"

Post a pic when you have samples ready.

Vangy likes to play in the dirt

o

2 years later! LOL (((uncidon))) I LOVE that idea.. I have a ton of those hanging around! LOL

o

LOL..two years later and still great info for current projects! What I did at first was buy those business card sheets and print a pale blue lace background out on the whole thing. Then I used a really nice font in a plum color and put two sets of information on each card(one in each direction) which I cut in half with pinking shears. Then I punched holes in them and used cotton string to tie them to my item. I run out of cards a lot, so I can just print out that on printer paper as a last minute thing. If it's a package of jewelry,then half a business card fits right on the back of an earring card,or use the business card as an earring card :) I also bought tons of little organza beaded bags at the dollar store, 4 in a pack for a dollar, to put it in when someone buys something, the halved card fits perfectly in them. The earrings,bracelets and necklaces all fit in the same sized bag,and you can read the card through it. People will generally keep that to store earrings in,and I've had lots of people call me for more stuff because of it :) You could also use any cardboard package to recycle for cards, like cereal boxes,and stamp your info on the back.

o

Wonderful ideas!! But what about things like dishes/glasses or items you can't hang a tag on? If a glue gun were used, could the glue be removed easily? I love the idea of the different papers such as scrapbooking paper or wallpaper. TIA

o

Super ideas here!! but I'm with you 'patty cake' I make concrete items leaves etc. and the only thing that I found that sticks to this smooth finish is 'tacky' looking masking tape! so I'm like you, and anxious to hear if there is a glue of some-type that we could use that would easily peel off and not hurt the finish. TIA also. ~Wendy

o

What a fun thread. I love the playing card idea. You can get clear labels in many sizes to print on your computer then stick it onto a vintage playing card or what ever and the design will show through. I have some clear labels here at the office, elephantear. I'll take some home tonite and see if they stick to concrete. Something else that occurs to me is you can probably print on masking tape if you buy the wider one and really stick it down good on a piece of transparency film or something with some bulk that you can remove the tape from after. I've done similar with scrapbooking - that is printed on a little piece of paper that I've already cut out by sticking it onto something 8.5 x 11.

Here is a scan of transparancy film with masking tape and printing that I just quickly did this in word as an example. I kind of like the rustic look of the masking tape. In order to get the space right you would type up a full page of what you want in Word and print it on plain paper to check if it is spaced right for your masking tape "layout" then adjust. The transparency film with tape pressed carefully down would probably also go through a copier and be more water proof than an ink jet printer. I just put one piece of tape at the top, but clearly the page could be filled with them. And it is perfectly straight, as printed, I just scanned it crooked :).

Print on masking tape

kathy

o
forgot to say

Another option would be to just print something pretty or your business name or both on the masking tape then use it to hold your price tag on, then the masking tape wouldn't look tacky!

kathy

o

Hi kathy, I really like both of your suggestions! I think these are great ideas and something I'll be trying out before my next sale. I plain to print your ideas out for safe keeping. Thank you! Thank you! so much for taking the time to do this! my senior mind had reached a blank at the time of my sale!
Wendy

o

Hey don't feel bad about senior mind. I've had the clear labels in my purse for 2 days and dispite working in the yard and moving around some of my concrete objects never thought to see if it sticks to them.
Glad you like the ideas. It was fun to think about what would work, particularly in case I ever try to sell anything.
kathy

o

Kathy, that day was my very first and only day at being a vendor, never thought I'd try this but my daughter encouraged me on account of my 2 year obsession for making leaves etc. Even though I've given many away I still had a long tote box full of smaller 'crete' leaves stashed under my bed and other places! lol. She told me of this 'upscale' large spring event that was taken place in the town she lives and they were looking for garden art etc. vendors and she suggested I give it a try- I asked for her assistance and of course she couldn't turn me down after-all-it was her idea,lol. I did lots of painting during the weeks before the day of the sale, and didn't think to try out the sticky labels until the day before, so hence the unsightly masking tape, BUT the bottom line here was it sure didn't hurt my sales any! "But oh! for a nice label" I kept thinking just for a little 'polish' and professionalism if you know what I mean! Thanks again for your input, very much appreciated! Wendy

o

This might get boo'ed as misappropriating items BUT...how about using paint color sample cards from the paint stores for tags? You could use a metallic pen to write on them.

o

I really like that idea indlyne. You could also stamp on them. If someone has a really large amount of things to sell and wants to use the paint cards as tags, they can buy a whole book of paint tags, then wouldn't feel any qualms about misappropriating. The small book of the new colors at Sherwin Williams is only about $5 I think, and they are fat cards, similar in size to playing cards. There are 50 color strip cards in each book. If my memory is right and it was $5, that is only 10 cents/card, not bad really.

Since each card is numbered it could help you keep track of your inventory as well. It just occurs to me that playing cards, being numbered and suited can be an inventory tool. Not one that I need unfortunately since I've only made about 10 things I would consider selling, lol, but maybe someday! If you have the type of product that varies a lot in price and there are concerns about price switching, you could buy 2 books, one to break up and use as price tags, and the other to keep together and write what the item tagged and price of it was. It would be easy to look up by color/ number to make sure the tag is on the item it belongs to. And then you can write "sold" and the date and venue on your copy. (Of course keeping a list would work too.)
I might just have to try to sell a bunch of stuff to test my technique.
kathy

o

Upholstry shops have books of fabric samples that have a paper backing. These books get discontinued regularly. Wallpaper sample books also get discontinued. Never hurts to just go in and ask the department manager or shop owner if any are headed to the trash. Cut out tags with deco scissors, hole-punch or groumets make the holes, tiny thin ribbon are the ties. If you put your price on a tiny white removable label, the customer can use your fancy price tag as a gift tag. I would design my concrete products with a place that a tag could be tied on. While the concrete is drying maually put a large staple into the project to tie the ribbon on. NO tape to worry about.

o

susiewantsroses, (While the concrete is drying manually put a large staple into the project to tie the ribbon on. NO tape to worry about) Next concrete leaf I make I'll certainly give this idea a try-out! and the staple could easily be removed when sold. Thanks so much! Wendy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here