Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting a Singer treadle to a bathroom vanity

Posted by sdionnemoore (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 10:22

Do any of you know of anyone who has converted an antique Singer treadle machine into a bathroom vanity? I'm considering doing this for our halfbath and would like to find someone who can offer me some tips.

THX!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting a Singer treadle to a bathroom vanity

I have not but I have a tredle and I can see how great it would be. I think you need a plumbers advice to how much to take out first and how much to cut out the top. The drawers will be great place for hair brushes and such. I can not use mine. My DD mom got it for him and I have carted it all over. Used it a lot doing heavy work. We moved to small apt and 7 yr son was sleeping on couch. He kept having nightmares and coming into my bed. He would shake and look away from the door and say don't look he will hurt you. I mean he was horrified. Who. The man in the door. Finally after many times of this the next day he told me that the man sat on the machine at night watching him. As he got older and we had it in storage, he told me that the man was probably a teenager, that he had on pants just below his knees and a hat like his dad like (a golfer or newsboy hat from back when). So it has not been in the house since. He was supposed to be the one to inherit but he said no thanks.

o

The only real problem I see in using a treadle sewing cabinet as a bathroom vanity is the height. My Singer treadle cabinet is only 30.5" tall and my powder room vanity is 32" and my kitchen cabinets are 36". If you are short it might be a good fit but I'd want the vanity taller.

You would also have to seal the wood very well so water doesn't damage it. My cabinet is veneered which wouldn't stand up to any water left on it without a good sealer.

o

...just found this post, but I think it would look great especially if you used a "vessel bowl" adhered on top of the cabinet, giving you the needed inches to be normal height.There are soooo many different materials used to make them today from stone look to porcelain. As for water stains on the top you might find a piece of marble to fit at a used building materials store, and place the sink on top of it. Older bedroom furniture used to place the basin and pitcher on top of them. Whichever route you decide to go, please post pics....GOOD LUCK!!

o

Oh, wow!!!!! I can't believe I found this post as this is what I came on to search for. We are building a new home and in the guest bath I wanted to use Mom's old Singer tredle sewing machine as the vanity. I was also thinking of using a vessel sink to give the correct height. I was hoping someone had done this and would have pictures.
sdionnemore.....great minds think alike. Let's hope someone has done this and will post pictures or give more ideas.

o

btt (just in case)
Thanks

o

Have you ladies considered the plumbing for this? You might want to check where the water and drain lines are and how they would connect to your vessel sink. Are they on the wall and if so are they high enough to be hidden by the wooden part of the cabinet. Remember the lower part is openwork metal. If the connections are too low and would be visible below the cabinet, how much would it cost to have a plumber move them up? The same question if they come up through the floor. They would definately have to be moved if that were the case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here