Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old mirrors

Posted by kudzukween (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 08 at 10:11

I took apart two mirrors,that gave me four mirrors to play with. I used a paint scraper,like a Widget,to scrape the silvering off the back and some nail polish remover. If anyone had a better idea to get the silver off to imitate an old mirror I'd be so appreciative! :) Printed out some old victorian type images that I liked and glued them to the back. Very hard to photograph a mirror! I had to hold a white sheet in front of me to do it :)

Here is a link that might be useful: old mirrors

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old mirrors

I did this years ago with photographs and there was a special solution you bought at the paint/wallpaper store...so don't remember...

Doesn't matter because your method turned out BEAUTIFULLY! Love the lace tablecloth background... and old vintage photos would look wonderful, too! Jeanne S.

o

I remember doing this years ago also. We used some chemical to remove the silvering, but I can't remember what it was. I have been wanting to put an old black and white photo of my grandmother onto the back of a wall mirror that someone was going to throw away, but gave to me. Kudzukween, you did a great job by just scraping the silvering off. Was that very difficult? Do you think I could do it on a large mirror? Your mirrors turned out just gorgeous!!!

o

Thanks ya'll :) No it wasn't hard, but think maybe a paint thinner or remover might be better,I'll try it later. I have a few of those plate hangers I found at Dollar World, and yard sales, I believe I will make some more out of photos and hang them on the plate rack.

o

Very neat idea! I like it.

o

Those turned out very nice! Try a product I use for a lot of things, you can get it at walmast, called 'goof off' or 'goop off'...but its in the same section as the paint removers and where we get our silicone.

o

Very pretty pictures! I think what you are thinking of muriatic acid. You can use it to "antique" mirrors by creating dark spots or you can remove the silvering.

o

Well you certainly are right about taking a picture of a mirror. Here is an old bedroom mirror (36" X 16".
I used a sears sand blaster to remove the backing. There was a lot of masking befor hand and the cartoon had to be drawn on backwards. Strangely enough the mirror didn't seem to lose it's reflective properties - probably the black.
Photobucket

o

Is that ever cute. One of my favourite characters, too!

o

Oh,that's so cute! And what a great artist,too:)

o

Muriatic acid will take the silvering off of old mirrors. I have done this many times to bring back "to far gone" old beveled edge dresser mirrors. WhaT I usually do after the desilvering is to get a regular thin mirror cut to the exact size of the old then clean the "sandwiched" surfaces on both the old and new parts then place them back together. You have to look real close to tell the difference. The new combo is thicker of course so a thick enough frame is mandatory.
IMPORTANT!!!! WHEN YOU USE THE MURIATIC ACID YOU MUST WEAR RUBBER OR CHEMICAL RESISTANT GLOVES, WEAR BREATHING PROTECTION, AND DO THIS OUTSIDE!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here