Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative to burning fireplace logs

Posted by txcountrygal (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 27, 11 at 0:26

We don't want to burn wood in our fireplace because I have a fear of soot being scattered throughout our home. And, we've heard that propane burns "dirty" and it's our only option where we live for gas logs.

In the interim until we find a solution, we took a large piece of firewood and DH drilled round shallow holes into it (the diamter of tea lights). We then placed tea lights in the holes and it really does provide a nice, warm glow that we're really enjoying!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative to burning fireplace logs

Good idea. It's a nice alternative to get some ambience! :)

Alicia

o

Is your draft closed? Maybe that isn't right word-long day. A very safe way is with the tealights that are battery operated & no flame. They last a long time & safer to fall asleep to. Most soot is caused by smoke stack or chimney not tall enough(or if you forget to open vent). Dr. I did some work for had soot all up his fireplace front, I got builder over & asked why . 2 reasons he said, burning too hot of fire but mainly he figured the smoke stack was too low. We went outside & yes, it was about a foot lower than all the other houses. I got to redo the front of his fireplace tho, cleaning that mess off & repainting. They lengthened the smoke stack by about 18 in.& no more problem. I'm allergic to all smoke, fire, BBQ,cigarette so if anyone gets headaches from smoke this would be good solution to use log with battery tealights. They last quite a long time also. Jan

o

Long fireplace candles just like the one you made with votives used to be very popular for use during the warm season when your fireplace wasn't burning. We finally went to a gas insert and I will never go back, it burns much cleaner. Have you considered an electric fireplace insert? My mom has one of those and loves it.

o

A very pretty simple idea. Ambiance with out the dirt.
I'm sometimes jealous of people with fireplaces but I have enough trouble keeping the house clean. I am glad we moved our woodstove to the cellar since the upstairs is now so much cleaner! (and the cellar is dryer).
Kathy

o

Thanks! We live in the country on a hill with no houses around and where we live, it's super windy. We think that has a lot to do with the downdraft that we experience. DH is checking into a woodstove insert where there are iron (?) doors that completely seal and close and the stove generates heat to warm the room. Supposedly, no smoke or soot at all escapes into the house with that setup. We're still checking it out.

Have to admit, though, that I don't miss cleaning fireplace ashes and where we live in this area of Texas, we don't have extremely cold winters. Fireplaces in our area are mainly for ambiance (in my opinion).

Just love the look of a fire, though!

Thanks for the tip on using tapers- that would be a neat look as well!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here