Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to add charm to this light fixture?

Posted by paint_chips (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 25, 07 at 0:13

You know those single bulb lights that look like a glowing ball or moon that suck up to the ceiling?

Is there ANYTHING I can do to make these more homey?

Please help me with some pretty (and inexpensive) ideas.

Here is a picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: Light

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to add charm to this light fixture?

Have you looked into just replacing it? Some of the things that I can think of to change the appearance such as painting it with Gallery glass to make it look like stained glass or gluing on half marbles would probably end up just as expensive as getting a new fixture.

I have sprayed on textured paint to the metal base of lights to give them a new appearance. You can buy new glass globes to change the look. I've also seen some sort of decorative trim that can be placed around the base of the light to make it look more upscale. Check with a place like Lowes or Home Depot to see what they have.

o

You could use that site to add those ceiling madallions. But depending on your decor I would paint it. Or decopage lace on to the surface.http://www.lightingdirect.com/index.cfm?page=Search:results&CategoryID=7889&CategoryName=Ceiling Medallions

o

Mosaic it with stained glass!!
I did the globes on my chandelier, and boy what a difference!

Hazie

o

make a cover for it. say make a wire frame or use a naked frame and hang beads or shells or even jewelry from it (according to where it is) toss in a small delicate wind chime for movement and sound. Just use wire to go around the bulb or to attach to the ceiling.

o

I'm with Haziemoon...that is what I was going to say.

I have some ready to cover with the half marbles then fill them with a string of white christmas lights.

patti

o

Check the width of the opening of the glass globe. It's probably around 4". You can go on eBay and find wonderful vintage replacement globes with a 4" fitter for less than $10. You also wouldn't compromise the light. If it's in an area which you need the light, covering it with anything is going to make that difficult.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here