Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever see a Zebra horse?

Posted by justlinda (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 08 at 23:32

Shopped this from the curb. It was originally on a frame, suspended from springs, a child's jumphorse. Dismantled it, patched up the holes, and painted it to resemble a whimsical zebra/horse.

Rocking Horse/Zebra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever see a Zebra horse?

Great idea! And you did a beautiful job.

Kate

o

I could only say WOW.Such a wonderful job.Thanks for sharing.

o

Now that is being creative. Such a good job too.
Maddya

o

My gosh, you did a great job! Those stripes are so crisp and neat looking!

Enjoy!

o

I love it!!!

o

Great Job!

o

I was at the zoo a couple of weeks ago and just adored the zebras. What a treat it would be to have something like this in my home! What a great job you did!

o

Oh my gosh....I love it and I want one too.....

o

You people are so kind and generous with your lovely comments. So does that mean if I see a herd of zebra/horses galloping down the highway, I shouldn't be too alarmed? LOL

o

Oh, you KNOW we'd be enchanted!

o

Oh Wow, you did such a fantastic job refinishing that piece. Congratulations, it looks awesome.

Sal

o

I have always thought of doing something in a zebra or tiger print but didn't think I could duplicate the stripes very well. You did a wonderful job with the zebra stripes! It looks awesome!

o

Wow! Great painting! Impressive!!! And I love it way up in the air there on your armoire (sp?). Jeanne S.

o

I love it!! I found a jump horse not long ago and just gave it away....kicking myself now! Your paint job makes it look like one of those very expensive carrousel animals. I'll be looking for another one now!

o

That is just beautiful!!! I always LOVED carousel horses and wondered if one of those bouncy horses could be painted to look as good. You did a fantastic job!

I definitely want to try one now, so I posted to freecycle to see if I could get one. The bouncy horse I bought for my niece was tossed out awhile ago. :(

What did you use for patching the holes, etc.? and for primer, paint, etc.? I'm wondering if I could use water-based acrylic paints (like from a craft store) and then maybe give it an overcoat of clear acrylic to protect it?

o

Hi,
To patch the holes, I put a bit of GESilicone II around the inside of the hole, and then inserted a piece of cardboard with a thread to hold the cardboard up against the inside of the hole so when I smoothed on Poly Instafill it didn't fall into the hole. I let that dry, then primed the whole horse with cheap flat spray paint from WallyWorld and painted the horse with craft acrylic paints. Then after it was all dry I once again, probably because I'm cheap, spray painted with a cheap clear coat (that wouldn't yellow) to protect it.

Here's another horse I'm working on.....decopaged with wallpaper cutouts. Ever see a SunFlower Horse??? LOL

Jumping Horse

o

Oh, that's just GORGEOUS!!!

Thank you for all the info!!! I followed everything from the WallyWorld on. lol! The GESilicone and PolyInstafill are foreign to me... would I find those things at a craft store or hardware store?

o

Hoping you can see this little drawing for patching the hole up. The thread is threaded through a piece of cardboard, or piece of plastic cut from a plastic bottle, and then it is pulled up snug and will be glued to the inside of the hole. The Polyfil will then fill in and smooth out where the hole indent is, and you will be left with 2 threads sticking out from the Polyfil and when the Polyfil dries they can be cut off.

The GE Silicone and Polyfil can be bought at WallyWorld.

Sheesh, I feel so inept when it comes to describing this. Hope you can follow me. :)

Patching Hole

o

I understand completely. THANK YOU! Your horses are beautiful!!!

o

Love the horses! I am now on a mission to find one of these!!! Keep up the beautiful work!

o

Linda I just love what you have done with your horses. I have two (one large, one smaller) in the basement just waiting for a paint job. Great idea to use wallpaper cutouts, really like that one! I'm wanting to do mine and put them in the garden - great ideas! Mona

o
Sunflower horse

You zebra horse is great, but I absolutely love your sunflower horse. I picked up a horse a couple of years ago and still haven't done anything with it. Maybe you will be my inspiration.

o

There's no horseing around, you did a great job. Love the rich colors and patterns on both.
Vickie

o

Great job!! Love both horses!! Really gives them a new life!! The black & sunflowers look so good together!! Told DD to watch for 1 on trash day couple of months ago better tell her again!! Would love to do 1 of them! Jan

o

Linda,
I love your horses!! I have one - my girls and I named her Bessie - that has sat out in my flower bed for a couple years, patiently waiting for inspiration to strike me. And now I think, thanks to your horse, it has bashed me in between the eyes!!! I do have some jewelry I've gotten at the Goodwill, that I know she needs to wear, a gorgeous triple strand of pearls that has to be some type of bridle and some funky, huge clip earrings, etc. I'm so excited now! I need to decide what to put on her body, but now I have a direction to go - thank you, thank you!!!

o

Thank you so much for your painting directions. I have been wanting to try this project for several months, but have been concerned about proceeding through the proper steps.
I know I've seen directions on mounting the horse on a pole, but can't seem to find them on this site or through google.
Is there anyone who can help me?

o

They are both beautiful!
I have 2 of the wonder horses from my kids. Now I know what I'll be doing
Diana

o

I just saw your horses last night and they were SO beautiful. I really want to paint one up, but it's been a very long time since I saw one of those bouncy horses at a garage sale, so figured I'd NEVER find one!

THEN, this morning, I stopped by a garage sale and bought one for just THREE DOLLARS! I'm so excited to work on one! Thank you so much for sharing your pics and inspiring me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here