Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coffee bags and potholders

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 20:59

I'm doing this in two messages in case the pics are too big for dial up folks all at once. I emptied one of those foil coffee bags and was thinking about how sturdy it is and should be reusable for something. I put water in it to make sure it held water and of course it does. But so what, its too flimsy to give away flowers in for instance. Then I remembered that I had this pretty raku vase a friend made for me years ago that leaks so I can't use it for flowers. I'd tried putting things inside, but its irregularly shaped and things similar in size didn't fit right. The coffee bag works great and conforms to the funny shape onthe inside. I almost want to buy flowers to try it out.

Coffee bag as waterproof liner

Could put lots of them in a basket to gather flowers... They are light weight. Anything thats not water proof that a coffee bag can be squished into can be a vase.
kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Now the pot holders

Years ago when I worked in our local thrift store there was a lady who would come at the end of our $1/bag sales and pick out things that we would "give" her. I put give in quotes cuz she gave most of them back in the form of pot holders and shopping bags which we then sold. She took cotton clothing and old towels home and washed them and made things. The potholders have terry cloth towel in the middle. They are my favorite pot holders still more than 20 years later. (I wore out quite a few but still have these.) You can see that I've patched a couple of them. Hers are the first pic, then the second are some I made, inspired by her, from an old worn out towel and some fabric samples. I wish I remembered her name - she was doing this before recycling was so fashionable!

Made for thrift store to sell

and here are mine

Pot holders from samples & towels

kathy

o
RE: coffee bags and potholders

Great ideas & I'll bet the potholders feel a lot more secure in your hands. Ones from store are often stiff & i have no luck with the mitts,I have small hands & I can't get a grip on anything with them. Some potholders are very thin also. I used to really like the "free" ones the people running for local gov't offices used to give away. They had nice thickness & sometimes 1 side was silvered or goldish like the ironing board pads used to be. Oh, another bag that will work even to put a gift in is potato chip bag. It can be washed & turned inside out & nice silver color on it slip gift in & fold down & tie with ribbon. Jan

o
RE: coffee bags and potholders

Good idea about the potato chip bag. So much packaging is very sturdy, its a shame not to reuse it. I've got some plans for handbags using some of this kind of stuff plus duct tape and old plastic table cloths. An inside out little potato chip bag sewn down the middle might just make a good cell phone and pen pouch. I'm just too scattered tho, cuz right now I'm covering a light bulb with half marbles, lol. Gotta do the bags next!
kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here