SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derbycity_gw

Help! I need to decorate a store front window.

derbycity
15 years ago

I need some of your great decorating ideas!

My work depends on me getting this fantastic job at very nice thrift store.

They carry nice furniture and anything else you can think of.

I need to decorate one of the store windows for Valentines Day. I am drawing a blank. It needs to be CUTE and as inexpensive as possible!

Thank you in advance! I would really appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

Comments (18)

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

A thrift store I used to visit had things from the store in the window. Are you able to use those items. They are not for sale until the next month...it is a tease to people who are looking at them up and in a setting that is beautiful. I think anything red and white and fluffy with hearts as a main focus will work. Maybe a model if the store has one to drape jewelry on and some lace. A tea set that has red on it or any flowers. Maybe a place setting that has red napkins and such. Maybe a teddie laid on a satin pillow. A wine glass nearby with a chocolate or rose. a spot with a red teddy bear or heart. Vases for flowers. Check out the store for your items...it will just fall into place for you.

• derbycity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you twomonths!
    Yes, I am able to use anything in the store for a window display.
    Thanks for the thoughts, maybe this will get my mind whirling!

Thanks again!

• Related Discussions

need help decorating front entrance

Q

Comments (2)
    You can post more than one. Just add a picture as you did; leave a space and then copy and paste the URL of the next photo you wish to add. But bring this picture over to the Discussion side. You'll get more activity over there.
    ...See More

help with antique store front window for fall

Q

Comments (18)
    Be real cautious about natural items though that may harbor insects or mold. I once brought in real hay for a Christmas play at church and didnt know the choir directors and many others were allergic.They couldn't sing iwthout choking!Wouldnt have been so bad but the next year I decorated the windows with real Pine boughs. Yep he was allergic to them too! I tried the little straw bales you see at the craft stores and OH what a mess.The stuff is shredded like about 1-2 inch pieces and won't stay together!It was everywhere!Someone should invent bales made from 1 continuous raffia strand!
    ...See More

Need new siding, windows, and front door. Need help!

Q

Comments (26)
    Jean, in the rendering below, I matched the siding on your house to the swatches you just posted. I cannot, however, adjust for lighting, so It's critical to get samples and paint them at your site to see what they look like under your actual conditions. Good luck.
    ...See More

Help! I need help decorating my living room

Q

Comments (44)
    Sounds like you and hubby aren’t on the same page. Buying a table, without ability to return is red flag to me. He bought that rug too without your involvement. The rug is wrong size and style. No photo of the table. But better sit down and talk about this and reach some compromises otherwise, these situations can fester and get ugly over time.
    ...See More
  • sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Hearts & cupids & red are great as Valentine decor & two months has lots of good ideas,Victorian lace blouse with lots of jewelry, a satin pillow left over from a wedding with red brooch or red rose on it. Books or magazines with Victorian look, especially Feb. issues,anything having to do with love, romance, & using lots of items for sale in the store, maybe perfumes on a tray by the pillow with the rose, or if they have heart shaped cookie cutters & old fashioned dolls & the teddy bears make a tea party. That would be 2nd choice as way economy is going romance would appeal to ladies & TS romance is more affordable!!! Could use dresser, or table ,upper body maniquin for a blouse.Or if lots of pretty blouses dress them with lovely jewelry on a table, maybe with some attractive heels that suggest a night out! Whatever is available is best. If they have any small white doilies they work well with red hearts. Doilies can be cloth or paper. Red hearts can be gotten in old Valentines or 99cent store packet. Or take red paper & make a few to put on the white doilies might have to get those at 99 cent store also. Better not to get stuff from out of store but sometimes if not much to suggest a holiday you have to bring in a little bling. A red thing that has tiny foil hearts on it can be cut up & placed around or red garland from Xmas. Another idea might be for older ladies, if they sell yarn, assemble red ,white & pink yarns in a basket could be just off from the other displays to continue the theme. Also look for hats for sale that have red or pink & white,dresses,sweaters, gloves, nylons. More items you can connect to a holiday more people get in mood to buy for that holiday. Not likely to overdo in TS so may need to use several of the ideas. Good Luck!! Jan

• derbycity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you sunnyca! You guys are awesome! I am brand new to this forum...just accidently stumbled upon it while looking for decorating ideas.
    I love your ideas! I wish I could bring you and twomonths to KY. to help me brainstorm.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my e-mail. I am looking forward to talking to you all again!

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

I love to see windows that are very subtle with holiday decor....kind of like a surprise waiting to be discovered. Maybe decorate it like a room and put subtle red touches around in it to be discovered...maybe a red lacy pillow on a chair, or a single red rose in a vase on a table, or a heart shaped box of candy and some old white lacy gloves on a table like an entryway to a home.

• derbycity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi smickerdoodle!
    Thank you for your suggestions..I need all the help I can get. I pray I get this job with the Thrift Store. Jobs are hard to come by these days.
    I will keep you all posted. If I get the job or not I really appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

Some great ideas posted above! Something I'd do (being the kind of gal I am), would be something to tie the entire room setting together-in addition to the red accents.
    Remember the 'old days' back when in school-everyone had to make a decorated Valentine Box with a slit in the top, so classmates could place a Valentine in the box, for you?
    Maybe use some different sized boxes in the same manner..decoupaged in a red & pink rose paper, one in lace, one in a pretty red & white plaid fabric, etc, etc and place them different places in the room setting..on an end table, a footstool, a desk, a coffee table, a mantel-and have (preferably) an old fashioned Valentine sticking up from within the slot of each of the boxes. A candy dish filled with heart shaped candies, a bouquet of long stemmed roses on a table, if you have a stuffed dog or ceramic dog available? Set him on a throw rug (red) by the sofa, with a big bone with a red bow on it!

• luckygal
    15 years ago

The dollar store is a good source if you have to buy anything. Red foil heart garlands are pretty cheap. Old fashioned red crepe paper streamers can add more red if you don't have enough red items available from the store stock. You might also buy red or pink poster board, cut out heart shapes and write appropriate sayings or words on them - scatter around or hang from the ceiling with fishing line in the display. Curly ribbon can be used in a variety of ways.

When I did window displays for my store I'd just walk around the store and choose items in a particular color or theme and play with them. Vary the height of items in the display. You can use plant pots upside down with fabric (tablecloth, etc) over them as risers. Try to "layer" the display for interest. One of the problems with window displays is that some items can fade fairly quickly from the sun so keep that in mind.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Don't forget pink.If you want a fifties theme you can add lots of pink!Pink and Black(lace) would be a nice change of pace.
    But there are always lots of red things to choose from I love the valentine box idea who doesnt remember that!!!!
    Be Bold not a bunch of itsy bitsies they just get lost.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Do a backdrop of draperies pulled back. If you have a floral/stripe/print of some sort, and a solid, use together for fullness. Tie them back using something from the store~a bouquet of silk flowers and a ribbon?

How about a Valentine table setting, using a variety of dishes from the store? Use different candlesticks for a centerpiece(or various crystal wine glasses),along with placemats/napkins~store items also. Use scarfs that might tie in with a Valentine Day theme tied in bows around the chairs. Also use a scarf or runner under the centerpiece~don't lay it flat, shrunch it up to give it a more designer look. Good luck! ;o)

• derbycity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love all of your suggestions!
    You guy's are awesome!!!!

Heartfelt thanks! :-)

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Hope you will post pics of your finished display! :)

• derbycity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To: twomonths, sunnyca,smickerdoodle, sharon, lucky gal, goldenpond & patty cakes, I think you are the greatest bunch of strangers I have ever met! Seriously, your helpful thoughts and caring words have been a blessing to me. I am very happy to have come in contact with everyone of you!
    Friends, it does not look like I am going to get hired for this job. :-( I have wished and prayed as much as I can, but it does not look like the owner can afford another person right now. I REALLY wanted it, but......
    My blessings to all,

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Awwwww shucks derby i'm so sorry. Are there any other thrift stores you could apply to, or consignment stores? Times are soooooo tough right now, and everyone is trying to keep their costs down. ;o)

• silkysoap
    15 years ago

One happy thought: Business is up for GoodWill stores, and I'm sure it is for other charity or thrift shops! More customers mean more help needed, and more dollars spent in the store!

My recreation is visiting all of the above; has been for years; I love 'em.

By the way, I'm new here as of today. Nice to meet you all.
    Nancy aka SilkySoap

• des_arc_ya_ya
    15 years ago

Awww...man! I hate that you didn't get the job (or that the job didn't materialize!)

I try to do all I can to keep the thrift stores up and makin' $$$ ! LOL

Keep lookin'. I'm sure something else will come along for you.

• derbycity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the support!
    I too am a Goodwill, Salvation Army, Consignment Store "mad woman!" I love to find bargins! It really is true...one man's trash is another man's treasure!
    I am going to keep trying for this "special" consignment shop. It is what I call a "high end" consignment shop. It is very neat and cozy when you walk in. It just has that feeling...if you know what I mean.
    Again, A Great Big Thank You To All!

• straycat_wandering
    15 years ago

I liked the idea about the dishes...I'd do a mix and match using the red or pink color theme. Then I'd try to incorporate all of the different designs on a back drop. It's amazing what you can put together if you blend them all into a picture-backdrop or pillow design. Makes people aware of how to mix and match and since you probably don't get many pieces that match it might promote sales. In fact-I'd ask what isn't selling and incorporate that into a display. Some things that don't get much attention just need someone to pull it together.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012