Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TV cabinet from an old dresser or sideboard?

Posted by organic_tigerlily (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 3, 07 at 20:24

I want to make a TV cabinet/home entertainment center from a vintage dresser or sideboard. Any suggestions??? I think that I can remove a couple of drawers and make room for the electronic components.
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TV cabinet from an old dresser or sideboard?

Gosh, no one had a suggestion for you.

I've never done anything like this, but I think HGTV might have something like that. I seem to remember seeing a small chest that they removed the top drawer and made the bottom two drawers into doors for an entertainment center. You might try doing a search there.

Hope someone else sees your post and can offer help.

Luvs

o

I too want such a piece. DH will make one new. Some have doors, some drawers, some both. If the door has middle panel it could be replaced by material so a speaker could hide behind. If course I have circa 1960 speakers.... DH is planning ours to have some drawers. He thinks it will make access easier for DVD's and such. I found a "butler" "side board""credenza" at a store. The top china cabinet came broken, twice. I hoped to get the bottom for a nice price. No go. I plan to hang my flat screen TV above it on the wall like a picture. I saw it done on a decorating show. Three years late I now have the TV. Now I NEED the entertainment center.

o

Oh what a great idea Tigerlilly, I bet it's going to look fantastic. Can you post a pic of the dresser or sideboard so we can see? Without seeing it, you could use wooden shutters attached to the dresser sides for the front. check out Home Depot for shutter doors you can cut or shutter for windows or an antique store for real wooden ones. Are you planning on keeping it "vintage" or more modern, straight paint or stain or distressing it? Go to a furniture store and check out entertainment centers for ideas of your project. Take along a piece of paper and pen and sketch it if need be. You've got me all excited about this piece. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here