Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veneer vs. solid wood wall unit doors?

Posted by sas95 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 8, 12 at 18:51

I am having a large wall unit made for our living room by a carpenter. It will be mostly open, but will have one cabinet with 2 doors. He asked me whether I want veneer or solid wood doors, with the veneer obviously being cheaper (but I do not yet know the extent of the differential). Is there a reason why solid wood doors would be measurably better for this type of use? The price he quoted with the veneer doors is already at the higher end of my range, but I would spend more money if solid wood would make a big difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veneer vs. solid wood all unit doors?

Sorry, I meant to post this on home decorating.

o
RE: Veneer vs. solid wood wall unit doors?

Veneer would probably be OK if doors aren't going to get super heavy use. Most kitchen cabinets are veneer. Mine are raised panel veneer & 40 yrs old so main problem is with heavy use you might end up with holes in veneer from pulling on the knobs to open the doors.(hubby made cabinets) If your kids roughhouse & doors are raised panel(hollow in center) then they could kick a hole in the doors if they are low. Solid doors would just dent in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here