Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greetings to you all! Question for you..

Posted by sydneydavis (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 06 at 14:27

I was told I could find help here. I have a china cup I am wanting to cut in half. I want to glue the half cup to a saucer so I can hang it. Also if I drill a hole in it to hang what size drill bit should I use? Can I use my reg drill or should I get on made for china? Didn't know if my Sears brand was too high powered.
Thanks a bunch...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greetings to you all! Question for you..

Wow! I would think that almost any kind of drill would make a lot of china pieces instead of cutting it in half. Could you call a glass shop and see what they would suggest?
Sue102

o

I'm thinking that I've heard people mention using a drill bit that is made especially for ceramic/glass pieces. How about calling Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. and see what they can tell you. I'm NOT knowledgeable at all in tools or how to use them. Wish I was.....

o

If you have a WalMart nearby (and who doesn't!) they sell Black and Decker Glass and Tile bits in a 4 pack for around $10. These are the best bits to use. HD sells them for around $17, and I get them to price match plus 10%, so I get them for $9! woohoo.

Anyway, use the next to the smallest bit (can't recall the size). If your cup is really china, it will take ages to drill a hole. Use drops of water to cool the bit and go S-L-O-O-O-W. If it's just ceramic it should drill fast. I'd suggest using one of the bigger bits on another piece until you get the hang of drilling, to save your bit for the one you're going to do.

I'm not sure about cutting the cup. Maybe if you have a glass shop they could do it? I've seen it done with glass on a band saw type of set up, but never china, and never a tea cup. I HAVE seen tea cups that were cut in half and made into night lights, just don't have a clue as to how they did it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here