Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Room Divider

Posted by mockfuller (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 14:16

I found a room divider at the local goodwill. It is pretty decent. It is all wood and has four folding panels.
Each panel is woven like a basket with 2" wooden slats, running up and down and tucked into the frame of the panel door. It is a honey color oak. Alot of woven slats are cracked or broken away from the panel frame. Any ideas on redoing this? I am not sure if I know how to soak the wood to get it to bend like original. It is about 6' by 7' in size. The frame is in good shape. I would post a picture but I do not know how.
Please help.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Room Divider

I'm no expert on this but yYou could try using wood putty to fix the broken slats or those pulled away from the frame. Or check at Home Depot, etc. for replacement slats.

As for posting pics - I use "photobucket.com" - it's "free" way to post your pics on the net and it's easy once you get the hang of it. Open the program up in your web browswer line. Set up your user name and password. In the section that says "Upload Pictures" - click on the "Browse" button - this will open up your Pictures folder on your computer. Click on a pic, click on the "open" button and the pic code will be placed into the white retangular box in Photobucket. If you want to add more pics, in that same Browse area box, select "add more" pics - it will open up several white rectangular boxes for your to add pics - just do the same, hit the "Browse" button and select and "open" your pics. When done adding the pics, hit the "Upload" button. You will see three picture codes below the pic - To post a pic directly into your msg post, click on the middle code, it will say "Copied" - then go back to your msg post and from your top menu select "Edit" and then "Paste" - the code will paste into your msg post. You can "paste" several pics into your msg post. When you are done typing your msg post and hit the "Preview Message" button, it will take you to the "preview section" and you will be able to see your pic along with your msg. If you are done with your msg, then hit the "Submit Message" button and you will see your msg and pic in the forum pages. The other way to post a pic is - using the same format to "Upload" the pics into Photobucket, click on the first picture code section under the pic, should say "Copied" again. Go back to the forum posting page and see just below this "Message:" box here, put your cursor in the "Optional Link URL:" white rectangular box and again, "Edit" and "Paste" - you must then "Name of the Link" and then hit the "Submit Message" button - if you forget to "Name the Link" the next Forum page will tell you so and you can go back and Name it. You will not see the pic though, just the "link name." Then "Submit Message" button again. When folks open up your post in the forum, they will see the Link and be able to double click on it and it will open up "Your Photobucket" pictures so they can see your pic. If you would like folks to be able to see "all of the pics" in your Photobucket acct at the same time, in the web browser line above, highlight the whole web msg in the rectangular box, then again, "Edit" and "Copy" and then in your forum msg post "Paste." When folks read your msg post, they will then be able to "copy and paste" the link into their own web browser line and see all of your pics.

Hope this helps you in understanding how to post pics. Let me know if I goofed up somewhere in explaining this or you need more clarification.

Sal

o

Here is the picture, I hope :)

Thank you so much for the detail of how to post the picture to crafty-lady 2006!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s161.photobucket.com

o

Nice looking room divider. I can see a few places where you are saying the slats are cracked or broken away from the frame and would again suggest trying wood putty or a wood glue. If that doesn't work and you still want to keep the divider, you can remove all the slats and then use fabric inside the frame by stretching it tight - either glueing it down and/or stapling it with a stapler made for furniture - Or - cutting a thin piece of plywood (or another very thin wood , covering the plywood with the fabric or even painting a design on it and then inserting it into the divider frame - as if you were placing a "matte" into a picture frame.

Let us know what you decide to do with it.

Sal

o

I love it, you don't say where your going to use it,
I saw on they just covered with fabric right over the slats
probably for balance
then took clear material (assume it was shower curtain material and made pockets and put photos in it

o

Thank you for all of your input. I would like to use it in my foyer to cover a large intake vent. That way it will not hinder it in anyway...I will let you guys know what I come up with

o

Hi --

I weave baskets so I suspect that I know in principle what they did to construct it. I'd bet that they have those slats glued and nailed into slots in the sides, though, and that would cause you problems replacing them.

You can purchase fairly wide pieces of oak (and various other hardwoods) for weaving, but it would cost ALOT to buy enough to replace several slats on that unit! -- plus you'd have the hassle of removing the old glue/nails and cleaning the slot for reinsertion. That's not the best solution unless you're a very eccentric millionaire. :o)

The 2nd best solution would be VERY labor intensive: go from 4 panels down to 3 panels, using good slats from the 4th to repair the broken slats in the other 3.

Like craftylady, I would try repairing them with glue (and woodfiller if necessary).

HTH!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here