Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recycling old mosaic tile bench top

Posted by deedlesmom (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 5, 05 at 13:43

We recently moved and my DH cleaned out my shed for me and a mosaic bench top flipped over and some of the tiles fell out. I used good adhesive for the tiles too. But I forgot to seal the grout before I put it outside. Do you think I could put the missing tiles back on the bench top again after I chipped away all the old grout, regrouted and sealed it this time??? Or should choose another piece of wood and start from scratch?? Thanks for any ideas.
Sheree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recycling old mosaic tile bench top

I don't see why not. If you don't try you won't know. And you'd trash it if it didn't try it so go for it. Just make sure you grout it and seal it this time.

o

Hi Sheree, My thought was did you prep the bench before applying the tiles? You should scuff up the wood with sandpaper to allow good adhesion for the glue versus glueing on the tiles to a shiny or slick surface. Did the bench have any wax or such on the wood? Next time, scuff up the wood really good and apply then a coat of primer,like Kilz or BIN,they are white shellac pigmented primers. This will then seal the wood against moisture. Then apply glue and tiles. You should not have the problem again. Good Luck.

o

A couple other things I forgot to mention.
I see by your post the bench is outside. Wood expands and contracts when wet,humidity, etc. so most likely why also your tiles popped off too. I would glue back on the pieces, grout and all, then re-grout and bring the bench inside as a peice of furniture. Start from scratch on another one to go outside. When putting a wood substrate outside, you need to keep it out of the elements really if even sealed properly if you want to keep it for decades. Not any where where wet can hit it. Grout sealer does repel water,oils and stains, but not considered waterproof and will definately not protect the wood underneath if not primed first. Pieces I have outside, I seal every 6 months regardless. I mosaiced a wood chair for my kitchen. go to'
http://photos.yahoo.com/pattiwatti43
I think its under "mosaics"
Another fantastic group is mosaicartists.org under yahoo groups. a wealth of info and you can really self teach yourself with their info as I did.
have fun.good luck
Patti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here