Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone make a plush area rug?

Posted by pink_overalls (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 12:19

I would like to create my own area rug, about 6 feet square. I want a plush pile, maybe wool, not braided or rag or hooked. Years ago I saw Kitty Bartholomew do one on HGTV. She cut out designs with a blade-knife, from the back, and then taped in same size pieces of other colors. I want a retro or mod look -- circles, boomerangs, squiggles. Would I look for remnants and piece it all together, or start with an area rug with already bound edges? I want something original in my own color choices and dimensions without spending hundreds of dollars. Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone make a plush area rug?

We used to use remants and sew or tape together. Go to a carpet store and look for the remenants. If you want to add smaller pieces in as designs, see if they have any carpet samples they will give you or sell you. Most will also bind the outside of the remant for you and then you do your own color additions...seal back with duct tape. change your mind, change your colors. Good luck.

o
RE: Anyone make a plush area rug?

That was going to be my suggestions also. I know Home Depot has the carpet squares you can take (just don't fill up the whole box all at once, HA). Way back when, my Mom made her whole kitchen rug out of remnants. It was pretty neat, she also did a unique pattern.

Sal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here