Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gallon jars

Posted by annielu (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 21, 07 at 11:46

I have a bunch of gallon jars that I want to paint and make lamps out of(put fairy lights inside.) My question is---how do I drill holes in these jars for the light strand?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gallon jars

Some years ago I drilled some holes in glass jars. I used a diamond drill bit. I found it at a stained glass store.
I can't remember what the price was but I did a lot of jars with it.

o

Annielu - check out the "Crafts & Decorations" forum and find the post about the wine bottle tutorial - the gal over there makes and sells them at craft shows. She posted instructions on how to make them, drill the holes, etc. You need to use a "diamond bit" drill piece.

Sal

o
You need the special bit, a cordless drill

and it is best to run under water while drilling. We made a holder out of wood to hold the bottle in place, then run water over it in the basement sink while drilling on a cordless drill with the special bit.

What are fairy lights?

o

Fairy lights are the "teeny bulbs" - just the tip of the bulb. You can find them at Michael's in the wedding stuff aisle. Some gals put them in their wedding floral bouquet as some are battery operated. I have used them in a wall hanging basket intertwined in the greenery. They are also great for something like a floral display on a table where you don't want a cord to be seen, or don't have an outlet available in that area. The only drawback to the ones I have is, they use the batteries right up so I only turn them on for an hour or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here