Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unfinished stairway spindles

Posted by Roberta_z5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 16, 05 at 11:26

I have ten of these that we "found". They are in different sizes and I'm sure there are great things that we could do with them. Unfortunately, my brain is full.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unfinished stairway spindles

candlesticks, painted they coud be Santas or Uncle Sam, legs for furniture, four of them could frame a mirror or a picture.

o

These make darling stands for birdhouses in the garden that you can paint up to match birdhouse. Just make sure you use exterior paint and sealer to protect them from the elements. Your imagination is your only limit. these are fun.I attatched 2 to the front of a corner cabinet I built as eye candy...Hah ha..They are great embellishments to shelves and also make cute towel bars in the bathrooom.

o

You can do candlesticks, the style depending upon the size.. Drill a hole in the end (top) of the spindle large enough to accommodate a taper candle. Cut or find wood or metal block to serve as base and screw or glue spindle (depending on height you want) onto the base. It needs to be hefty enough to counter-balance the spindle. Spray paint: turquoise, teal, cobalt, cranberry, white, gold, silver, or natural. Surround with greenery, pine cones, and berries or attach silver, white, or gold fabric ribbon bows, spray paint twigs in same, contrasting, or coordinating colors to make Christmas table decorations. Change the colors and details for other holidays.

As a variation, attach three slender spindle candlesticks, different heights, on a single square wooden base. This provides more stability. Use a stiff wire to brace them.

Attach three spindle candlesticks to a base, but leave enough room in the middle for a vase of flowers. By varying the vase from clear to ceramic to pottery and the flowers from roses to tulips to daisies, you change the mood.

Group the spindles together and glue a plastic saucer to the top to make a pedestal candle stand. This can also be done with a single spindle if the spindles are hefty.

Paint the frame of a mirror white and glue the spindle candlesticks to the mirror for a table centerpiece.

Use the shapes of the turnings and paint as toy soldiers, etc. You can use them as candlesticks, or at Christmas, just include the spindles on the stairway or outside in the porch railings. Stick them up in the yard as decorations.

Cut to fit and stain as necessary, then glue them to the front of shelves, etc., to provide architectural interest.

Fasten them horizontally to the bathroom wall to make a multiple-roll toilet paper holder or a towel holder. Fasten them one below the other to make for multiple towels.

Make a frame, put the spindles inside and have a garden gate. It can even be a faux-gate in the fence.

Use as the corner posts for low fences around your flower beds.

Ray

o

Who was it that painted some pastel colors(very pretty) and had them in her flower garden as a border, help here??? she also had lots of other art work she did for flower gardens and it was all so pretty.

o

Try this site--

www.garden-path.com/html/home.html

o

Lots of great ideas. Thanks!! These spindles are too short for birdhouse stands, but those are so cute. Candle sticks and picture frames give me great ideas. I appreciate the help.

o

COULD YOU GET SOME OTHER PIECES OF WOOD AND STACK THEM TOGETHER AND GLUE THEM SO THEY WOULD LOOK KINDA LIKE THE ONES ON THAT WEBSITE? THEN PUT A BIRDHOUSE ON TOP AND THEN PAINT THE WHOLE THING? YOU WOULD HAVE TO USE THE RIGHT GLUE- SOMETHING REALLY STRONG AND WATERPROOF.

o

Why not try making what I like to call a wind clunk, instead of a wind chime? I used drilled holes in the top of chair back spindles, threaded w/wire & attached little bells, charms and clear stones (w/hole already in them, from craft store), and hung them from an antique picture frame (minus glass and cardboard), and hung an old broach *sp* that I found at a garage sale for $1 in the middle... made a very unique, natural wind clunk. :)

o

2 could be put together by drilling holes in each and 'doweling' them together-with glue also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here