Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drawer Shadow Boxes

Posted by oldalgebra (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 8:25

This is my first post on this forum. I keep bothering the Holiday Forum people with my vintage re-dos when I know that the postings would be more appropriate here. So I am jumping in.
Hope you enjoy looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drawer Shadow Boxes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drawer Shadow Boxes

oldalgebra - The drawer shadow boxes are lovely. You certainly made good use of your old desk. Now you can enjoy it for years to come. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

o

What an imagination. Love what you did to repurpose the old drawers.

o

The mirrors in the drawers really show off your collectibles beautifully!! I think I have a similar desk with drawers down 1 side. I love those old desks & mine weights a ton too!! Actually i have 2 & the 1 in garage was in a school for sure(stamped on back) it has narrow(about 3 in.) drawer that is very deep(goes all the way to back of desk so is 29 in.) & front area of that drawer has a concave piece of wood all the way across, I guess for pencils. I use it for small brushes. There is dividers in the drawers & I store qt size cans of varnish & other painting or restoring antiques supplies.Jan

o

I really like them. I used some small ones when I had my shop. If you want a double dose of Junk related posts come over to Junk Revolution. There's alot of good things there too...

o

Wonderful! I love those old desks.
Years ago I found some wooden drawer dividers for a few dollars each at a flea market and made them into spice shelves. They must have been in one big desk!

Here is a pic. Certainly not as elegant as your shadowboxes, but a reuse of an old desk part.

Spice shelves made from old drawer dividers

Kathy

o

I recently went to an art show where a teacher
had all the desk drawers (complete with scribbling)
from his classroom on display.They were lovely pine
and I think he was going to sand them down.I have a couple
I plan to use sometime.One is holding up my bed right now!

o

I love what you did! Very creative. I was wanting some shelves in my new game room to display pictures, so now I'll keep my eyes out for some drawers at the thrift stores and flea markets!

Thanks for sharing....
Alicia

o

This is a great idea and one place to find drawers is spring clean up if your town has it. People set out dressers, etc. missing drawers - the other drawers are just there for the taking. I think I'll keep my eyes open - spring clean up starts in a few weeks!

o

Okay. After posting before and looking at drawers to do the same type of thing you did, all I'm finding are drawers that the front is bigger, like the face of the drawer. Therefore, if you go to place it on the wall, it will be lopsided. Like the drawers are actually smaller than the face of the drawer.

So did you have to shave the fronts of the drawers so that they would be equal with the actual drawers, the circumference, which then you'd have a nice fit on the wall? Or were your drawers already like that?

Hopefully you know what I mean. :) I confuse people easily with my explanations sometimes.

Thanks!
Alicia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here