Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Before Pic .... musty smelling bureau

Posted by CraftingMomma (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 12, 03 at 17:02

Here's a picture of the bureau I bought today for $4. Needs a little TLC ... mosly just needs something to get rid of the musty smell. Hopefully someone here will have a good remedy for me.

Joyce

Image link: Before Pic .... musty smelling bureau (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Before Pic .... musty smelling bureau

Wad up newspapers and place in all the drawers. Leave it sit for about a week and the smell should be gone.

o

I have friends who swear by kitty litter for getting rid of musty smells...worth a try.

o

My sister learned this on television and we both tried it. Put a container, small bowl of fresh, dry, unused coffee grounds in your bureau. You would not believe how this works. My sister put some in an old trunk. I put some in several drawers of my daughters antique buffet. It really worked!

o

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Here is what I ended up doing:
I washed the bureau down with vinegar and water ... removed the cardboard between each drawer (these were definitely the primary cause of the musty smell) ... I then stuffed the drawers with crumpled newspaper. I changed the newspaper a couple times a week ... for two weeks. The smell seems to be gone. I have since painted the entire piece with a primer. The drawers I did both inside and out ... cabinet just the outside so far. Now I'm working on the finish coat. I'm hoping for a high tech look for my teenage son's bedroom. Trim and top will be black ... sides and front are silver crackle on a white base ... the front of the drawers will have wrapping paper decoupaged on them (which is where I got the colors from). So far ... it's looking good. I'll come back and post a pic when I finish it.

Thanks again!
Joyce

o

If you paint it they have paint that you can add paint puorri to it Menards

o

I'm sorry, darma, what do you mean??

o

i am here for the first time....did you ever post pictures??? your ideas sounded wonderful...........

o

Joyce, did we ever see the finished the piece?

Be Safe, Rach

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trash To Treasure Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here