Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

my snowman

paintingfool
17 years ago

We don't get snow here in Florida but I still love painting the little fellows{{!gwi}}

Comments (15)

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

He is such a happy little feller! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Love him also!!
    You do wonderful work.
    Kathi

• diarich
    17 years ago

You are very talented. Wish I could paint like that.

• blueiis
    17 years ago

Excellent!

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I love painting so much that when I hear someone say they wish they could paint like that, I want to grab my brushes and show them what I do. I painted the snowman, then using an old scruffy brush (sometimes the best kind of brush) I stippled over the snowman so it toned down the shading. I also used an old toothbrush to flick snow in the background. Thanks for the compliments.

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

You can come show me how to paint like that anytime. It is sooooooo beautiful. I'm telling you painting gals on this forum, you have got talent like I've never seen.

Sal

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

"I wish I could paint like that"... OK, grab those brushes and come up north and teach me!!

Snowmen are my weakness, and that is one of the cutest I have seen. He looks like he is having so much fun!

Thank you so much for sharing your creations. They are delightful and inspiring.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gram - it's too cold up there. I once lived in Rhode Island when my husband was in the Navy and I begged him to send me back to Florida in the winter (I wasn't painting then). Fortunately, I got my wish and all of our duty stations after that were in the South, five years in Hawaii and two years in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. This morning it is about 34 degrees outside and this weekend it will go down to 28 degrees but the good news is it only lasts a few days and then it goes right back up. But you know how painters are - they will paint anytime and anywhere. Last year I drove to another city to take a class with Elizabeth Pruitt Hayes and it turned out to be one of the coldest nights of the year and the place we were painting in had no heat. I brought an electric blanket, feet warmers, two sweatshirts and thick socks but even with all that it was hard to concentrate with steam coming from your mouth LOL.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Love the snowman pf. You must have really wanted to take that class to sit thru it like that!! ha I cannot abide the cold so I stay inside most of the winter only venturing out when I absolutely have to. I'll use your tip on the snowman painting. The stippling gives him such a soft look. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Looks like I am the last one to check in here and see your snowman--slept in later this morning. What a happy face! I really love the background colors--love the way the colors blend together. Hey PF, I've lived in R.I. before too--DH was stationed at Newport when we first got married. You're right--cold winters! Brrr! I'm In Ca. but we are pretty cool in the mornings and evenings--thankfully we warm up to shirt sleeve weather during the day. Luvs

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    17 years ago

That is sooo cute, and the holly so realistic. Did you make this up yourself, or did you use a pattern?

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, we were stationed with the Seabees in 1966 but I can't stand the cold so I hibernate during our very mild winters. I am also a loner so I don't mind being at home by myself. Because these are painted in acrylic it is easy to blend the two colors together but you have to work quickly or they tack up and you can see your brush marks.
    Gracie - I saw this on the internet and since I can draw pretty good I drew it directly on the wood piece - I should have made a pattern but wasn't thinking. I don't know who the original painter is. I do this a lot, if I see something I like I will draw it right then and usually put it in a folder - mostly for inspiration later. Although, I have a four drawer file cabinet loaded with painting books dating back to 1982 and they have loads of patterns in them but it is a lot of work to go through the books, lol.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Paintingfool, I have a couple shelves of paintng books and craft mags. I think mine only go back to the mid 1980's. Some of them may only have one or two patterns I like, but I hang on to them because as my tastes change--I just might find the perfect thing in one of them! (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) Ha ha Bet you also have clippings collected too, don't you. I have a banker's box of file folders--some are actual patterns, others are just pics of things I like for future ideas. Oh, and by the way--we were in R.I. at the same time! My son was born that year. Small world, huh? Luvs

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Ahhh...you guys got me! I have been trying to think of something positive to say about our NH winters....and dang it, I can't!!

Used to think the winters were beautiful, ...that is when I was younger and could walk and drive through it fearlesly...no more!! Enjoy your mild temps!!!

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, that is so funny. I was pregnant at the time. My husband went to Vietnam and I came home during the winter of '66. Went back in June of '67 and stayed until first of December. When the weatherman said it was going to snow one night, I actually stayed up ALL night looking out the window but nothing happened. I was so disappointed but the next day I looked outside and everything was white - I thought it was the most beautiful sight! Here in Florida we don't build snowmen but we do have beautiful white sand on our beaches so we build sandmen and we dress them in straw hats and sunglasses. My kids love to do that and have their Christmas pictures made at the beach. BTW, I lived in Warwick - a really cute New England type of town, totally different than the South. I had a hard time adjusting to not being able to find grits in the stores - only Cream of Wheat, LOL.