Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annem194

While painting

Annem194
22 years ago

Can you tell me what I have to do when I am painting the technic One Stroke by Donna Dewberry, my brush become thick and it does not a good job. It is a new bottle of paint, and I have try to put "Floating Medium" but it does not help on the thickness of the paint. It just help to slide better. It's seem that the pain stick on the brush. Do I have to clean my brush a few time while painting? If so, what is the product that I have to buy?

Please help. Thank you

Comments (3)

• lyn_r
    22 years ago

I *think* I understand what you are asking, so will try to explain how I do it. I first load my brush with paint and blend the colors on the brush. If I am doing a rose I dip the sides of the brush in both colors after I paint a petal to reload. Sometimes I blend again if it looks like there is not enough paint all the way across the chisel edge, and then dip each side again. I continue doing this until the brush looks like it has too much paint in it and becomes "fat", or when the colors have blended too much and it appears as one shade instead of two colors. When it gets to that point I clean all the paint out with just plain water, dab the flat side of the bristles on a paper towel to absorb the excess water and turn the brush over and dab the other side. Sometimes I also have a clean water bowl with a few drops of floating medium added, which I use to dip the brush in again and blot out the excess water using the paper towel method again. Depending upon the size or detail of the area I am painting, I might have to clean and reload several times. When I finish with a painting session I rinse my brushes well with cold water, then put a dab of dishwahing detergent on my hand and scrub the brush in it until it looks like all the paint is cleaned out. I rinse well under cold running water until the water is clear. I shape the chisel edge with my fingers and lay the brush flat over a bowl to dry.

That is how I do it and it works well for me, but maybe someone else has a different method or can explain it better.

HTH!! :-)

Lyn

• Annem194
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Thank you so much for your help. I will follow your instructions. It's nice to have someone who can give some advice when we need to.

I am sure with your answer that you have answered other people.

One again Thank you it is appreciated.

Anne-Marie

• sammytx
    22 years ago

Lyn....I couldnt have explained it any better myself. Thats what I do with all my blending.....one stroke or other. Rinsing the paint out of the brush when its become "too" blended for one stroke is the only way get the brush reloaded. There have even been a few times when I've one-stroked tooooo long that I completely washed the brush out with soap & water before continuing. Thats why I now have 2 of the same size brushes. You've got to keep the brushes clean.

Sammytx

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists