Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protective Finish

Posted by Bon34 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 01 at 15:38

I was sitting in Barnes and Noble looking at a decorative painting book for furniture that illustrated various projects with instruction. The book was informative but after all that time and effort the author never informed the reader on how to protect the various wood pieces of furniture. I found it very frustrating that this most important step was omitted from the book. Does anyone know how to get the "store funiture" finish at home?
I recently painted a buffet and sprayed it with lacquer. I found that although it looks good it has a slightly rough finish, not at all what I see or feel when I look at the very expensive "hand painted" pieces in the furniture stores. Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protective Finish

The secret to any smooth finish is sanding. I only use waterbased finishes and apply at least 2 to 3 light coats of finish, sanding each one after allowing them to dry thoroughly before adding the next coat. That's my method anyway. Other people do different things. Maybe some more will post with more ideas.

o
RE: Protective Finish

After sanding, don't forget to wipe the dust off. You can buy interior or exterior varathene, oil or water based. You can get different finishes too, gloss, matte or satin to name a few. I use a large brush and do this for all my larger pieces. These are available at any hardware, or paint store, and even Walmart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here