Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luthien_gw

vintage coasters

luthien
15 years ago

hello ladies :)

i just made some vintage coasters as christmas gifts. it's nothing to do with painting, it's decoupage so i thought i better not break the rules and post the pics here. otherwise everyone will be posting funny stuff here :) they're in the crafts & decorations page. or you can see them in my blog :) if you like to :)

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage coasters

Comments (16)

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Hey...those look great! I love the vintage look. I am working on some coasters as well, but mine are painted. What did you use to seal yours?? Will regular modge podge work when wet things are going to be sitting on it? ~Anj

• luthien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hehehe! that's what i'm afraid off... i used 3 coats of gloss varnish. dunno if that'll work... perhaps i should go and source for some sort of waterproof sealer and put a couple of coats on! we'll see how long they last in my colleagues' hands :))))))

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

I like them. Never thought of making coasters. I have two sets my mom had crossed stitched for us so never have needed any.
    Anj, can't wait to see your coaster!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Love your coasters Luthien. Those are darling pics on them. Where do you find your music sheets for your backgrounds? I really like those. These look great, but I liked your tags with your hand painting added to them even better. ;o) Luvs

• luthien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks ladies :) these are really easy to make :)

phonegirl, yea... i personally don't use coasters as well... i have quite a few sets which i just keep as decoration pieces :)

luvs, the music scores i googled from the net, i also use to learn piano so i have some piano books as well, so i scanned some of those :) yea... the tags are more personal... they involve a lot more thinking and work ... :)

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Luthien...did a little research and it seems the way "everyone" is doing it is they modge podge a few layers over them then end with a coat of spray on sealer. I think your varnish should do well. Guess we'll find out soon enough if it really works. ha ~Anj

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

Love your coasters!

When decoupaging coasters you do need to finish them with a few coats of waterproof, water-based, acrylic varnish.

Decoupage Glue is 'water resistant' but not waterproof and Mod Podge in particular reacts to hot and cold temps by going soft and turning milky.

• luthien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hey ladies :) thanks for all the tips! i just found out i had a bottle of decoupage varnish. it's suppose to be thicker. silly me... i forgot about that. but i dunno if the varnishes i use are waterproof... well soon see.. as anj says :) i better go do some research as well... on waterproof varnishes...

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

The 2 acrylic finishes I use regularly are Varathane Diamond waterbased Polyurethane by Rustoleum and Minwax waterbased Polycrylic. Either one would put a good seal on your coasters and make them useful for years to come.

• luthien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks kraftymom :) i will try to look for these... i'm not sure if they bring them into malaysia though but there's a large art store just open... perhaps they have it there :) thanks again!

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Wow...didn't know that's where you were luthien. I never read people's pages. Isn't the internet wonderful....we can find friends all over. How's the weather there right now? It stays pretty warm there all the time doesn't it? (If you say yes, I'm coming for a visit) ha JK My furnace isn't working right and I woke up to my house being 68 degrees this morning! Brrrr! ~Anj

• luthien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

come right over anj! i'll be your host :)))) it IS warm all year round here. we always laugh and say we have 3 seasons... hot, hotter, hottest :DDD yup... the internet is wonderful! i got to learn so many things and meet so many friends from all over the world just through blogging :)))) AND foruming :DDD ... hahaha... actually this is the only forum i visit :))) i'm glad i'm here... :))))

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Well, the heater guy just left, my furnace is fixed (I hope for good this time) and my house is warm again so you are off the hook! ha I'm from the southern states originally and it's almost always much warmer there than it is out in the western state I'm in now. But this year I think they are having a colder winter than we are. I think I'd enjoy your seasons. I'd rather be hot than cold anytime! So did you grow up there or are you a transplant? I guess I should take some time to read your blog?? ha ~Anj

• luthien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hahaha! i grew up in malaysia alright :DDDDD 'transplant' send me into a bundle of giggles though! i shall use the description on someone when i get the chance! i did spend some time studying in england... and i actually love the weather there... even the constant rain. we should exchange countries!!! hahaha! hmm... i don't think you would get a lot of information of these things from my blog though... it's really just a craft blog :) but i'm working on a more personal one... soon... :)))))))

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Luthien, your coaster are great! Did Decoupage about 25 yrs ago but nothing since, might start again.

You might try a little water spot on one of your coasters, varnish used to turn white'sh when wet, that's why we had to use coaters. Newer varnish's might not turn colors.

• luthien
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the tip pezabelle :))) what did you use for coaters?

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts