Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Ideas How To Achieve The Look Of This Table?

Posted by trudymom (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 31, 09 at 14:32

I have a table similar to the one in the back of this picture against the wall except mine is just white. Any ideas on how to make it look like the one in the picture?--paint--stain? Colors?

Are there better forums here to post this question on?

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Table In Background

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Ideas How To Achieve The Look Of This Table?

I was hoping someone else would have an answer for you since I don't have much experience in this area.

I assume you are referring to the nice drop leaf table with the blue distressed finish. I think I've seen something similar on HGTV. One way is to apply multiple colors of paint and distress it by sanding. Another way uses streaks of wax on the wood so the paint does not adhere.

I'd check places like HGTV, BHG, about.com, or some of the primitive sites for help on the best way to do it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Luvs
A

o

Trudymom,

I have a drop leaf table that was my HD Grandmother's and it was made in 1907 and they used something called Milk paint. I came into the table several years ago and it needed some TLC and I refinished it using a milk based paint and it leave a beautiful, old looking finish. Can't remember if I used a sealer but I don't think so, and the table doesn't look like it has a sealer. I didn't "distress" mine and it still looks old mostly because of the color and style of the table.

Hope this helps!

Belle

o

Thank you both for your great suggestions!! Any idea of the color of paint? I hadn't thought of milk paint--hmmmmm...

Anyone else?

Thank you!

o

It looks like a faux verdigris (patina) finish. Verdigris is done by first basecoating your piece with copper or gold. Then by sponging or using crumpled plastic wrap you apply 2 colors of green and one blue paint color on to the surface creating a mottled look so the copper/gold base color shows through. You can even add a light touch of white. I love faux finishes and Verdigris is one of my favorites.

If a basecoat of solid gold or copper might be too much you can use terra cotta dry brushed with gold then apply your other colors.

The following sites have step-by-step- instructions.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12035_create-aged-verdigris.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4699699_faux-verdigris-finish-outdoor-furniture.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_12035_create-aged-verdigris.html

o

Trudymom,

I tried to post a follow up, but couldn't wait for someone else to post so that I could post.....anyway I email to the address you have listed in you profile, hope it is still the same, if not there is a website address flying around syber space somewhere.

There is what I believe I email you:

http://www.milkpaint.com/path_historic.html

There is a lot of great information and pictures on the site and there are lots of other site out there.

Belle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here