Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfarrar_gw

ISO ideas to paint on wooden sled....

kfarrar
22 years ago

I purchased a wooden sled yesterday from Big Lots for almost nothing & would like to paint something on it for a co-worker. I'm having trouble deciding what might look good as there are three slats where a person might "ride on the sled" and they are 2" wide & 10" long. They are spaced an inch or so apart & that's where I'm having trouble. Many of the patterns I've seen have say a snowman, but I think the spacing between these slats will make it difficult to have a single pattern placed on it, the pattern would look distorted. I may need to paint some designs up & down these slats & treat them individually rather than using the 'face' of the sled for a single design. Difficult to describe, but does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm a beginning to intermediate painter. TIA!!!

Comments (4)

• kraftymom
    22 years ago

I know exactly the kind of sled you are talking about. If you wanted to you could still paint a single snowman, poinsettia, or a Christmas tree broken up across the front. Full bodied designs like those do look OK across a slat surface. It's just a matter of the look you want.
    If you don't want to do that, you can paint each slat with a different motif or all of them with the same - say little trees down one, little snowmen down another, etc.

If I were painting motifs on the slats I would probably put little snowmen with snowflakes in between each one on a blue background, trees with Christmas balls between each one on a red background, or poinsettias with berries and/or holly leaves between each on a white background and in this case probably paint some edging lines in metallic gold around the sled, on the runners and maybe even on the poinsettias themselves. You could also paint all of the slats with a running holly & berry design which would look very nice.

These are just a few ideas maybe someone else here will come up with some more.

• Kelli
    22 years ago

How about painting a background, navy with stars and then a snowman on each slat.

• kfarrar
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Great suggestions.......Thanks so much.....I'm inspired!

• kraftymom
    22 years ago

Just another suggestion.....you could also take a picture from a magazine, book, large Christmas card, etc. break it up and decoupage it across the front. Makes for an interesting piece.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!