Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flamingo_in_ar

I painted some lightbulbs.....

FlamingO in AR
17 years ago

...for an ornament party I go to and posted the picture at the crafts forum. Luvstocraft invited me to share it with you, also. I used to post here a little years ago when this forum was brand new.

These are from a Sandy Holman book, "Watts Next" and are pretty simple to do. The worst part is the beak, it took 3 coats of straw to cover over the black. That wouldn't be so bad, but I made 24 bulbs. :) If I had these back, I'd put a little extra something on the cuff of the hat, it's looking a bit plain to me.

I've made penguin bulbs, too, a few years ago, but they were so labor intensive, I only did 8 of them.

One thing I learned, as I didn't have enough blown bulbs when I needed them- bulbs are CHEAP. I ended up buying some new ones, trading them with bulbs in lamps that had been there for a while and then painting on them even though they were still good. Compared to wood, bulbs are a very inexpensive surface to paint on. Just be sure to wash the bulbs really well so your paint will stick.

Comments (18)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Flamingo--I know the group here will love seeing your flock of red birds. Hope you take time to browse through the gallery to see what this little group has been doing. We'd love to have you come back often and share more of your past and current projects with us. Luvs

P.S. I admire those who can make things in quantity--I try to make things in threes--a couple for gifts and one for me--more than that makes my brain tired! LOL

• artisticattitudes
    17 years ago

Oh my,,,all ready for Christmas flight,,,terrific job.

• payd6
    17 years ago

these are awesome! great painting!!

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I saw the single birdie over on crafts. How neat they all look together as well. I have a hard time doing multiples too. I get too bored and ready to move on to the next project. They look terrific though. Thanks for sharing with us and hope you'll come back and play with us often! ~Anj

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness! Those are fantastic!

The cardnial was my Dads favorite bird. He has been gone for 13 yrs, but every year, I try to find my sister a Cardinal ornament. What did you use for the hat? Gonna have to go find that book!

Thank you so much for sharing with us!

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness! Those are fantastic!

The cardnial was my Dads favorite bird. He has been gone for 13 yrs, but every year, I try to find my sister a Cardinal ornament. What did you use for the hat? Gonna have to go find that book!

Thank you so much for sharing with us!

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, everybody, for the nice compliments. I am pretty used to making things in quantity, I used to sew and paint for a local shop and did things in 12's all the time, but 24 is a bit more tedious especially since I'm out of practice.

The hats are made from red knit ribbing from the fabric shop. You just sew tubes of it and then roll up a double cuff and hot glue in place.

I'll be sure to look around this site more as soon as the holiday madness is over. From what I've seen, you are a very talented group. Thanks again!

• jlily
    17 years ago

Flamingo your cardinals are just adorable. I envy you your ability to make them in groups. I get bored after maybe 2 of the same thing. Welcome to you!!Jlily

• gobldygook
    17 years ago

Flamingo...those are great. I have all three of Sandy Holman's books. I started paint several of the Halloween and Christmas ones for friends and family.

Once word got out, I have lightbulbs popping up in bags on my doorstep. And people started asking me to paint them to sell.

It's funny how they catch your attention.

If I knew how to put up pictures I'd put up a few of mine. I've kinda taken off with some the ideas and come up with a few of my own.

So far I haven't tried the cardinals. Now that I've seen how nice they look, I just might have to try some myself.

If you are wanting to paint more of them, I have learned that if you go to your local thrist shop and buy a couple of the 2 bulb fixtures (usually $.50-2.00) it makes it really easy to paint them and turn them as you need to.

• blueiis
    17 years ago

Flamingo, you really did an awesome job! They look great all hanging there, waiting to take flight.

Gobldygook,I know what you mean about lightbulbs showing up on your doorstep. I couple of years ago I started painting grinch lightbulbs, then santa, then Tweetie bird, and mentioned to a couple of people at work to save their lightbulbs. Well, I had so many, I had to start bringing them home a bit at a time, I think I still have some left. I might get into it again for next year.

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

Lovin' your birds! Wouldn't it be fun to see different varieties hanging in your trees in the spring?

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Rosemary--Hi, where you been? You know that is a great idea! Wouldn't it be fun to make a patio tree with the "birds" hanging all over it! Just a big pot with a nice shaped tree limb stuck in it. Hey, we could even share this idea with the GJ gals!

Goboldygook, glad to have you join in here with us. Welcome! Since you have all three of those Watt's Up books, can you tell us if there are more bird patterns in them?

Blueiis, I want to see the Grinch--and the Santa, and Tweetie! You get the idea. You gals are so creative.

Luvs

• gobldygook
    17 years ago

There aren't any other birds, but there are bunnies for Easter. I just haven't made it that far yet. I'm still trying to finish up Christmas orders.

• blueiis
    17 years ago

luvs, my Grinch is in the Gallery, I don't have a Santa or Tweetie left, I wish I'd taken a picture of them.

blue

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oh, good--I'm off to take a look. Thanks, Blueiis. Luvs

• diarich
    17 years ago

They are adorable!!!
    I've been looking for that book. We are so limited here to find anything. I have the other 2 books and I've enjoyed painting bulbs up. I spray paint mine first with flat white. That works out real well. I'll bet your friends were thrilled!
    Diana

• Lana Nies Weaver
    7 years ago

I love your Cardinal ornaments. I also have 2 of Sandy Holman's books and love to paint the lightbulb ornaments. I just saw you Cardinal for the first time and noticed what book you painted from. I do not have that book and would very much like to have one. Do you know if it is still in print and how I can get a copy? Thank you so much. You do beautiful work. Lana

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you.

I'd look on ebay and Amazon and Etsy. I checked but no one seems to have much right now. I did find a pattern packet for you.

http://www.cabincrafters.com/cgi-bin/ShowDetail.cgi?ITEM_NO=260-294