Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emma_taylor1224

Newbie poster

Hi all; I've been lurking around for a while and admiring all the talented people on this board.

Question: does anyone here paint landscapes? I'm looking for a good book to order. I prefer fall/winter landscapes; any recommendations?

TIA

Comments (8)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Welcome Tia, Glad to have you joining us. I don't do landscapes, but perhaps one of the other painters on here will be able to help you. Please just join in on any posts and give us your opinion, and we'd love to see pics of your projects too. Luvs

• diarich
    17 years ago

Hi Gracie!
    I don't do landscapes either...sorry
    I do like to go to eBay and check out books there.
    We don't have much for a craft shop by us, so I do a lot of online searching for books.
    Hugs
    Diana

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Hi Gracie, Welcome to the forum. Sorry, I'm not much of a help either, but I bet Mojo can assist you in looking in the right places as she has been painting landscrapes and other scenes on old windows, etc. You can even just type in "landscape painting" in your web browser line and see what you come up with.

Sure hope you will post pics of your creations.

Sal

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Hi Gracie, I definetly can't help you, but I put "learn how to paint landscapes" in Google and got lots of books listed.

Do you paint in oils, watercolor or acrylics? Seems that made a difference when it came to books.

Please share more about your painting. This is a lovely group of people.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Hi Tia~ missed your post apparently. Welcome. Sorry, no landscape painting for me either. Hope you find what you are looking for and will come back here to share! ~Anj

• calpat
    17 years ago

Hi Gracie....I started out painting landscapes many years ago with what I call "old fashion" techniques! BUT in the late 70's a techique was introduced by William Alexander, then Bob Ross and since many others have followed their techniques. I believe at Michaels and/or other craft stores, you'll find Bob Ross instruction books. ?They really are good, pictures of how to do this are explicit. They show what brushes to use, how to hold them, how to apply the paint, etc. And there are some videos that are equally instructive. Techniques for tree trunks, leaves, branches, etc. make it easy(with a little practice). I do mostly seascapes and there are books showing different type of application for still water, running streams/rivers, breaking ocean waves. Just about anything. Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask! Pat

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Pat,

I am familiar with William Alexander; I have 2 of his books. I have not used oils in many years; I am venturing into acrylics. Actually since I posted this I did a large painting for my sister. I'll try to get a picture of it to show you.

• calpat
    17 years ago

So glad you are familiar with Wm. Alexander, Keep the books, they always come in handy to refresh yourself. I think you'll love the acrylics venture! It took me a while to get used to them drying so fast, but a lot less smelly, they blend just fine, cleanup is easier and now cheaper. I just bought a gallon of odorless paint thinner and nearly went into shock. May go back to the acrylics! Happy painting, looking forward to seeing your current project!

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities