Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spykesgal

Need help

Spykesgal
18 years ago

I've lurked here for a long time and I need some help with my ice skates. After painting them with acrylic paint, around two months later all the paint started to crack and peel off. I can sit here and watch the paint crack and fall off. Yet I have another pair of ice skates I tole painted with an enamel type paint and they are just fine.

What do you think could have gone wrong?

I'd like to paint some more.

Thanks for the help.

Comments (10)

• Midnight_Sun
    18 years ago

I use acrylic on skates and have never had that happen, ever! You don't say what brand of acrylic you're using? Where the skates are hanging, temp wise, that is? Did you put a sealer on? One of my painted pairs is hanging in a local shop as a display and was painted 4 years ago and is still fine so I'm not sure what may be wrong, could be a number of reasons.

• Spykesgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The paint I used was Ceramcoat, but I didn't use a sealer on them. Did you seal your skates before you painted, as well as after?
    I also wonder if it peeled because of some type of wax type shoe polish the original owner used. I scrubbed them with soap and water before I painted them, but they still peeled. Other than that, they have been hanging on a hook in my bedroom closet.

• Midnight_Sun
    18 years ago

The paint you used is fine :) You definately need to seal them after or they may well flake/peel. They could have peeled because of the wax polish even if they were scrubbed with soap and water. I would recommend after you clean them to use a sealer like Jo Sonya sealer for the base, then paint on your design, let it cure for at least 24 hours or overnight and then use whatever sealer you may like for the topcoat. Hope this helps a bit :) Painted ice skates are one of my bigger sellers in the winter months and they are a great way to recycle at the same time lol.

• Spykesgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your help. I'll try it again with the sealer you recomended. I'll let you know how they turn out.

• Midnight_Sun
    18 years ago

You're welcome! :) I will be watching for your post and possibly a picture (lol) when you're done!!

Here is a pic of one of my skates from a couple years ago, it's still holding up well :)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Spykesgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gosh your skate is darling! I'll show you mine once I figure out how to post a picture. One thing at a time LOL!

• Midnight_Sun
    18 years ago

LOL I will be watching, if you need help posting a pic just shout!

• diarich
    18 years ago

I can't get the pic to open :-( I'll be they're adorable

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

I was forbiden to look lol

• Spykesgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It was really cute. Jingle bells and holly on a white ice skate. I love seeing the pictures of peoples projects. Hopefully one day I won't be such a dummy and will be able to post some of my own.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH