Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anne_gw

ceramic tiles

Anne
22 years ago

has anyone painted on these tiles, and if so what type of paint, and is any special prep. needed. Tks. in advance for advice.

Comments (9)

• kraftymom
    22 years ago

What are the tiles going to be used for?

• mathewsa_idirect_com
    22 years ago

kraftymom, I thought they would be used in the kitchen to put hot dishes on so the dishes would not mark the table.

• kraftymom
    22 years ago

Then you might want to use an acrylic enamel. Delta PermEnamels are applied in 3 steps - surface conditioner, paint, and a glaze. They do not require a heat set and are oven, microwave and dishwasher safe when cured.

One that I like and use is Plaid's Apple Barrel Gloss Acrylic Enamels. They are baked on glass or tile in your oven for a permanent and durable finish. The instructions are right on the bottle.

• mathewsa_idirect_com
    22 years ago

Kraftymom, thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it.

• Larue
    22 years ago

I paint on ceramic tiles with China Paint. It needs to be fired tho. It will be permanent once fired. You can also use decals, some need fired and some don't. It might get you started down a new road. One that is lots of fun and very addictive.

• Patty_Bigler
    22 years ago

I agree with KraftyMom about Plaid Apple Barrel Gloss paints. They must cure for 48 hours after painting before putting in oven. The directions say for 10 minutes, but 20 minutes is best NO LONGER. I do these all of the time for hot plates. Do not soak in dish water, just wipe off.

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

I am bumping this up.

I have a whole lot of different sizes of tile that were given to me. What I would like to do is to make signs for outside in my garden. Any suggestions for me?

My thoughts were to...spray with a matte sealer and then paint with Patio Paints.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Any prep work for me besides the matte finish? Have you painted with any other paints and when your tile was outside did it fade? What did you seal the tile with so it could be outside rain, shine, freezing, etc.?

Brenda

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Started reading this post and thought we had a whole bunch of new posters on here--then I saw that it was bumped up! LOL I wish I had an answer for you, but I have no experience with painting tiles inside or out. If no one else on here has an answer, you might ask on GJ forum or go to the Delta or Plaid website and see if there is a place to post a question. Are you talking about large tiles to hang somewhere, or to walk on? Hope you will post pics of them when you finish them. Good luck. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I have a bunch too that I wanted to paint to use for trivets and my SIL wants one painted with her house number on it, but didn't know what to use either. Mine have a shiney surface. I was just going to trial and error it. I imagine the patio paints would work good outside, but either way from GJers I've always read that sealing is the most important thing. Please post pics when your done and Good luck! ~Anj