Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

My rolling pin Santa

paintingfool
15 years ago

Yall know I love to paint Santas. This is painted on a rolling pin about 7" long. I think I tried to post it before but it didn't scan well so I took a snapshot which turned out so much better.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• luthien
    15 years ago

very nice... i can never draw faces... yours look really real :)

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Wow, that is so cool. Santa's are so fun to paint and I like the way you detailed it with the gold.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

You always do such a beautiful job on the fur and beards, PF. Love the gold too, just a nice classy touch. What do you use for a sealer that makes your things so shiny? Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Ladies. I love the gold too and it is so easy!! I think I told yall about the 18K gold leafing pen that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. It is made by Krylon and has a wide nib so I outlined everything with this pen this year. By placing the nib right in the middle on the edge, it gives a perfect edging. The reason everything is so shiny is because I use Triple Thick. You can purchase it at Michael's. It gets thicker with age and you have to work quickly but it makes it look like you have put on several layers of varnish. Thanks -
    B

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Bebe~ always love your santa faces. I was just at Hobby Lobby and was looking at the gold pens. Picked up 2 different kinds of gold paint pens and then couldn't remember which one you said you liked so I didn't get either. I don't think either of them said gold leafing pen though, but I'm pretty sure one was by Krylon. I'm gonna have to find this Triple Thick. I've never been able to find it yet. Is it in the paint section of Michaels?? ~Anj

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Anj. The pen is a about the size of the marking pens, has a gold stencil design and says "18K GOLD Leafing Pen, near the cap there is a red oval with KRYLON printed on it. There is another pen that I use for writing names on ornaments, it's called the ZIG PAINTY Metallic (an oiled base marker). I have found the Krylon pen at Michael's and JoAnn's Fabrics. It is packaged by itself and hangs on the walls. I wish I could remember exactly which area but I do remember it being in the area of other markers. And it comes in 18K Pale Gold, metallic red and Silver. I don't like the metallic red, haven't been able to use it on anything where it actually shows up. The Krylon pen has a wider bib so you can trim the edges of ornaments or place it half on the top edge and half on the side edge and it will give you a perfect line as you can see on the rolliing pin. The Triple Thick is at Michael's, same aisle as the glues and the paints, comes in a jar (although I think Luvs found some in an aerosole can). I usually only have to use one coat but unlike varnish, you have to lay the Triple Thick on in a scoop and then work it out. It is self leveling so you have to be careful on rounded surfaces. Once you find it and have any questions, let me know.
    B

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Triple Thick sounds like something I could mess things up with real quick. ha Maybe I'd better stick with my spray on sealer. ha
    The markers I was looking at were in the paint section so I was probably in the wrong area. Maybe need to look over where they have the watercolor pencils and other paint type pens and markers. Thanks for the info. Now if only I can remember it when I'm there next. ha My brain goes to mush as soon as I enter those stores for some reason. Idea overload or something. ha Too many cute fun things to look at. =) ~Anj

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

What a great idea and I am going to have to look for the sealer, most of my work is done with a Matte spray but sometimes I would like glossy look and yours is great. Wish I could get my beards to look as nice as yours.

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

I will have to try the triple thick and the gold leafing pen. Does the pen last for several projects or is it just good for a few?

• nancelee
    15 years ago

I love your rolling pin santa......everything about it!
    nance

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Nance. I hosted our annual painting club's Christmas Party Saturday and it was one of the ornaments I gave in the ornament exchange. I have another painting club's party this weekend and I am anxious to see what kind of ornaments I will get - it is always such fun to do this, we can bring up to five ornaments and we get back the same amount - but they are in unmarked paper bags so you don't know whose you are getting. Glad you liked it and I will post pictures this weekend - if I can figure out my new computer.
    B