Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marylee_2010

marylee_2010
13 years ago

Hello! My name is Marylee and I have just joined. I truly enjoy seeing all the neat and beautiful things everyone creates. I used to paint in oils 30 years ago but have not done any since '85. I have taken some lessons in acrylics but I like oils better. I begin some new classes next Monday and I am anxious to start. It is the Bob Ross method which I haven't tried. Wish me luck. I hope when I can do something I am proud of, I can learn how to post it.

Comments (16)

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Marylee.....WELCOME! So glad you are here!

I too started with oils but now love my acrylics, but I sometimes think about check out what my local craft store have to offer in oils.

Bob Ross is a fantastic artists, I have seen several TV classes, hope you have a great time and I think you will be amazed at how much comes back to you.

So....what area of our world are you in, working/retired? Oh! My! We just had a small quake... anyway, as you are doing a RB class, do you prefer landscapes? woodland scenes, etc?

Posting to our site is quite easy and I believe Anj... posted very good instructions, hope she jumps in here and can direct you to that post.

So, please come back often and be sure to check out the "Gallery," the "Exchanges" and "Conversation" pages.

Again, Welcome!

Belle

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Hi Marylee, glad you found us. Hope you come back and share about your class and even post some pics of your new "masterpieces" you will be making.

Luvs

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Belle and Luvs,

Thank you for your welcome messages. I live in Ohio and have been retired for 8 years. I have four children, four grandchildren and one great-grandson.

I used to like to paint landscapes and also tole. I painted on wood and saw blades but that was a long time ago.

When I go to class Monday, we will paint a snow scene. I like those.

It has been nice talking with you.

Marylee

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Hi Marylee! I'm new to decorative painting, but I've been hanging out on this forum for a while, and there's a great group over here! So glad you found us, and we're looking forward to hearing all about your class and seeing your new projects!

• anjabee
    13 years ago

Hi Marylee! I love Bob Ross and his happy little trees!! ha I know you will enjoy learning his methods. We will be thrilled to see your creations as well. We have a few parts to this site. There is a Gallery page with some projects if you haven't checked it out, and we have a Conversation page where we just chit chat with each other about our day to day lives if you'd like to come over and join in there. There are some wonderful ladies here. I will try to find the picture posting post in case you need it and any of us will be glad to help you out with any questions you may have about the forum! We are all glad to have you here!! =) ~Anj

• tollpeggy
    13 years ago

Hi Marylee, I'm pretty new too, but have been painting 30 years! Are you aware of HOOT- the Ohio SDP Chapter-they put on a fabulous convention in August in Columbus. I have always done acrylics & really don't want to change, althought I love colored pencil and watercolors are a challenge. My friends that love the look and feel of oils, really like the new ones that mix with water or the Genisis type. So much is new, so much is old...but we just keep on paintin"!
    Have fun.

• heartsandcrafts
    13 years ago

Hi Marylee, Welcome to the group! I'm fairly new here myself and haven't checked in for a while. Please don't wait to post your projects - share and be proud of all of them! I personally love to look back at some of my older projects to see how my work has improved over time. It's all part of growing as an artist. I love watching Bob Ross! Can't wait to see your snow scene and hear how the class went.

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Please bear with me. I am trying to learn how to post a picture. Wish me luck.

Marylee

I did it!!!!!!

• calirose
    13 years ago

Welcome! I have been a member for a while, but am slow in posting. Glad to see the membership rising.

Cute birdhouse Marylee!

I paint in oils (original and H2O), acrylics, and watercolor. Now I have started with oil pastels, but I will probably only use those for small things, like cards. I have used the William Alexander method which preceded Bob Ross. It is the same technique. WA was in his 60's or later when he brought this to the US. The main thing is not to get too much of the "magic" white on. Ross uses clear also. It is the same as applying linseed oil or walnut oil to the canvas prior to painting. It makes the canvas slippery so that the paint glides on. The white also lightens the colors so you can apply paint without mixing first with white or as much white.

I think you will really have fun in that class!!
    cali

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Marylee...I haven't seen a "Sunflower bonnet" girl in quite some time and your is worth the wait! The crackle background looks great and the checks on the skirt bottom and scarf adds interest....everything looks perfect! TY for sharing and keep them coming.

Cali...I used to do oils but stopped when I went to work and by the time I went back to them everything was useless plus I hated the space projects needed for drying. Space is cherished in my home even now without two kids. So for me it's acrylics and I "mess" with my paintings and you can't mess with oils. Hope you post some of your projects!

Belle

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cali and Belle, Thank you. I appreciate hearing from you and I remember William Alexander. I have had 3 lessons and I am not happy with my work so far. I have not painted in oils for 25 years and painting on a wet canvas is different from what I am used to. I will keep working at it.

Here are some of the things I painted years ago.

I am getting multible pictures so I will have to figure out what I am doing wrong. I know its when I am posting from my computer file to the photobucket file. I will keep trying. I don't know to delete my extra pictures.

Marylee

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Marylee, when you are on Photobucke and click on "upload pictures", it will take you to your computer photos. If you hold the control key down and click on each picture you want to share, you can upload several at one time. Now click "upload" again and just wait. Once uploaded, click on "save and go to album". Now you just run your mouse over the picture you want to put on here, go down to HTML code and right click. It will say "copied" and then you come to your post here and right click and select "paste". The picture will show up once you click on "Preview Message". You can then add more pictures if you want or just click "submit" and you are done. It will be easier for you once you've tried it a couple of times. Feel free to practice if you need to. You will have so much more fun when you can share pics of your creations. ;o)

Luvs

• heartsandcrafts
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing your pics Marylee. You do beautiful work! Love the crackle background on the birdhouse.

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Luvs and Marylee....I have to save my pictures to a file on my computer and then use photobucket to download pictures from the file. A duplicate picture appears in my Kodak Easyshare program and if I delete or send it to the trash can I loose both pictures as well as the one on photobucket. And in my photobucket programs I now have to find something that says something like "choose action" at the left bottom of the page. But from what I gleam from what you have posted Luvs...you can use the HTML that pops up when you click on the picture....right? I'll try that as well.

Belle

Just FYI...if you delete a picture from your photobucket, you also delete it from any forum you have used in the past. I don't know if this applies to moving a picture, I will check that out on a old post I have done and let you know.

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Now I know!I check on some of my old posts with photos and found that the ones I, at sometime, put into an album in photobucket are no longer are in the posts.

My BAD!

Belle

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Luvs and Belle, that is what I was afraid of, that I would lose everything if I deleted. When you enlarge my pic, my photobucket album comes up. I will keep trying til I get it right. For now, I think I will give it a rest and get some work done. This has been addictive.

Thank you, ladies, for all your help and suggestions.

Heartsandcrafts, thank you for your nice words.

Marylee

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES