Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josyse

Am painting smoking bottles

josyse
22 years ago

I know the question is not really paint related but you may still be able to help me. If you have made some please tell me.....How many holes?.....How big?.......How high from bottle bottom?....I have made a few, just for trial. This is what I seem to notice. I bought a 1/4 bit..Seems if I use the entire bit to make the hole, the smoke comes out of bottom hole. Also, I am afraid, the bigger the hole, the bottle may break(have broken some). 2 holes to beer bottle size seems to work. 2 holes on wine bottle kills the flame. So this is where I am confused. Are the holes too small(I pierce the bottle with tip of bit only), not enough holes or maybe too high? If you have made these bottles successfully or maybe bought one please tell me how the holes are exactly....I want to paint a new batch for Christmas presents but must drill them first. Thanks, josyse

Comments (13)

• lyn_r
    22 years ago

Josyse,

I make the smoking wine bottles and had the same problem with just two holes. Finally worked it out by drilling two holes about 1" from the bottom of the bottle, and two holes further up on the sides just below the neck. A 1/4" bit works fine, and I do drill all the way through the glass. Just make sure the bottle is at room temperature because it will break if it is cold. A few will break anyway, so just make sure you have some extras to work with.

Lyn

• DAIRYLNDNM_AOL_COM
    22 years ago

Please tell me....... whatever is a smoking wine bottle? I paint on wine bottles to use as soap bottles and lotion bottles but I am curious about the smoking wine bottle. TIA

• greenshorpe_netscape_net
    22 years ago

Nancy, the smoking bottles are meant to burn incense sticks. You light the stick and insert lighted side down in the bottle. You suspend the stick by putting it through a key chain ring that sits upright on the bottle top opening. the ring when not in use is tied around the bottle top with a chain or ribbon or whatever. The smoke swirls in the bottle and comes out the top. Very pretty sight.

Lyn, does the smoke come out of those two upper holes also? If it does, does it not take from coming out of the bottle opening? Do you put the hole directly across from each other? Meaning, are they on 4 sides of the bottle? I am counting the upper ones. I have got a lot of bottles that I have been saving just for this. Have you tried smaller bottles? Like wine coolers and beer? I have lots of those too and would certainly like to know if the same process would be required for this size. I have been scared to try going all the way with the bit and also had thought that the bigger the hole the more smoke that would be coming out the bottom instead of from above. I will give this a try, Thanks.

Nancy, what do you use on your soap and lotion bottles. Do you just put the bottle cap on or do you use some sort of spout. I want to do smoking bottles, and dish detergent bottles but have not found spouts. I have tried Walmart and the Craft stores, I next need to hit the dollar stores. Anyone know where I can find these?

22 years ago

Lyn, I am back with farther questions. I started to drill the upper hole and it dawned on me that just below the opening is NOT the neck. That is the lip. So the neck is the longer narrow part of the bottle. Then it extends out and it gets to the size of the rest of the bottle body. Where do you drill those two holes? The lower part of the neck, the part where it is extending out, or where the bottle gets the same size as the lower part? Am I making sense? If it is where the upper part is same as the bottom, how far down are the holes? Sorry for all the questions, I just feel that I have ruined so many bottles, I want to do it right. Many thanks, josyse

• DAIRYLNDNM_AOL_COM
    22 years ago

josyse, I find the pouring spouts at Walmart, three in a package and also at kitchen outlet stores. As for lotion I was using the lotion pumps but the manufacturer has changed the design of the bottle top just enough that the pumps will not fit now. bummer. Martha Stewart says that everyone needs a classy soap bottle. I sell a lot of these at shows and the customers always mention her. I use the wine cooler bottles for the soap. Good luck.

• lyn_r
    22 years ago

Josyse....The smoke only comes out of the top of the bottle. None (or very little) comes out of the drilled holes.

At the bottom, 1" up, I drill a hole on one side of the bottle, then turn it around and drill the other hole directly across from the first one. Then I drill the top holes straight up from the ones on the bottom. The top holes are drilled on the body of the bottle right before it narrows into the neck.

This is the same method I use no matter what size the bottle is.

Just let me know if you need more info.

Lyn

22 years ago

Lyn, I got it this time. Thankyou
    Nancy, I must have missed them at Walmart. I will try again, Thanks.......josyse

• BobnTJ
    22 years ago

Hi ladies, a friend of mine just gave me 3 boxes of wine bottles and I have been trying to figure out what to do with them> I love the idea of a smoking bottle, do any of you have a picture that you could send me? Or perhaps all of the directions? Do you use a regular drill bit or do you need something special? do you paint the bottle too? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for your help.
    Tanya

22 years ago

Lyn, I just had to come back and THANK YOU. AGAIN. Can you tell I really mean it? I even did it to a "BIG" bottle of Presidente Brandy and it works.

Tanya, I will email you......josyse

22 years ago

Sorry Tanya, my email does not want to work today. Do a search on googles and it will bring up smoking bottles. It shows you what it looks like. I found some that were painted and some that were different shaped bottles. You use a glass bit. It is different from regular bits. The bottom is shaped like a triangle. You can get it at Lowes, Sears. Our Walmart does not have it. It costs around 5-6 dollars. As you have read above, it requires 4 holes. I have several that have bottom holes only and are already painted. I will add the upper holes and cross my fingers that I don't break them. So paint them after you drill them. It hurts when one is broken, imagine if it broke after all the work to paint it. I have painted some solid and they look very pretty but if left clear and then painted with flowers or sun and moon or whatever, they do look prettier because you can see the smoke inside. I use a bottle of Hawg Wash cooling/lubrication concentrate. I spray it onto the bottle while working on it so it does not get overheated and breaks. I do believe that you can spray plain water. I use a pipe vise to hold the bottle in place. Do not hold it too tight, I did that and the pressure broke the bottle. OH, I also found that if I tape a piece of label paper on the bottle and I mark a dot, I can get the hole started with the drill slipping less. Do use protective glasses. I also use a thingy over my nose. I don't see glass flying but I still protect my face. Like Lyn said, if it is cold the bottle will break. Now I know why the other morning I got up and started on a bottle and as soon as I put the bit on it, the bottle broke.I can't think of anything else, maybe Lyn has more to tell you......josyse

• BobnTJ
    22 years ago

Josyse, thank you so much. Im on my way to Google right now before my kids wake up. I will have to call my mom or sister and have them look for a bit for me and send is ASAP. Thanks again for your time.
    Tanya

• lyn_r
    22 years ago

Josyse.....You are quite welcome!! :-)

I can't think of anything to add to your instructions. I do mine with a drill press but the technique is the same.

Lyn

• Patty_WV
    22 years ago

I also make smoking bottles.I buy bits at Lowes for drilling glass or ceramics.I have found you just need to add oil as you drill.When it starts turning white add more oil.I insert the incense stick into a split ring(key chain ring)
    Here's a small verse I add on a tag around the bottle.

Incense Burner
    Place the stick into the ring
    And in the bottle place it.
    There'll be no mess on anything
    Unless of course you break it.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor