Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teachlaw2

Newbie & Question about sand/seal

teachlaw2
16 years ago

I'm a newbie. I know to "sand/seal/sand" but when I sand the second time it sort of "pills" up. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. I thought I might not be waiting long enough but today I waited about 6 hours before the 2nd sanding.

Comments (3)

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Hi teachlaw2~ I don't really know the answer to your question since I rarely sand and never sand again after I seal. ha
    I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum. Hope someone else with more experience can answer your questions. ü ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Welcome Teachlaw2, I am assuming that you are talking about doing prep work on your piece before you paint it. I do sand a bit, but not excessively. I used to use a sealer before I painted, but not anymore. I only do craft type painting, so I don't really find it necessary.

As I remember, they used to say to sand the wood, wipe with a tack rag then apply a coat of sealer. Let that dry, then use a fine grit sandpaper and go over it. Wipe well with a tack rag again before you begin painting. Sealers usually dry in about 30 minutes I think.

Sounds like maybe you are using too much pressure when you are sanding. Maybe Painting Fool will see this and offer some advice. She teaches classes and is much more into doing things the correct way.

Hope you will come back and chat with us and show us pics of the items you paint. ;o)

Luvs

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Hi TeachLaw2, I seal my wood if I plan to use a lot of water during my painting. Sometimes, I put a bit of sealer in my basecoat paint so I don't have to do the job twice. However, if you seal and then sand aggressively, you will just sand off the sealer (like little rubber balls?) So, I would do as Luvs said - sand lightly. Are you using a water base sealer? Are you using very light coats? If you use too much sealer your acrylic paint will not adhere correctly (assuming you are using acrylic paint). What kind of sealer are you using? Hope this helps.