Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
way2old2care

HELP ))) Acrylic paint over Latex base???

Way2Old2Care
18 years ago

Anyone know if I can use Acrylic paints over a base done in Latex? I have some wood scraps that I want to tole paint on for exterior use. The Latex is exterior flat house paint. I have both interior and exterior Acrylic paints.

Any help, tips or ideas for this newbie?

TIA :-) (Thanks in advance)

Comments (6)

• Way2Old2Care
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your prompt reply. As I had stated, the Latex was flat. I have a half gallon of flat white. Now I can use it to base coat my projects instead of using the $$$ Acrylic white paint.

I'm glad this board isn't dead. Sure would like to see more postings...

Happy Toling and Merry Christmas! :-)

• Spykesgal
    18 years ago

Sorry for jumping right in here. I've been a lurker for a long time and decided to post a reply. i've been painting for more years than I care say. Usually Acrylic paint is acrylic paint, whether it's wall paint or your craft box. (wall paint costs less too)If it's around my house and it doesn't move real fast, I usually end up painting something on it. Where I've gotten into trouble, is using a spray type of finish, either for a base coat or sealer.
    Good luck with your project.

• Way2Old2Care
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Spykesgal! I appreciate your answering this post, too! I didn't realize that Latex was the same as Acrylic. No matter how old you get, there's always something new to learn! .

Hmmm! I bought some cans of Spray finish. Will I have a problem using it over the Latex & Acrylic paints?

Thanks again for the replies. :-)

Happy Toling & Merry Christmas!

• Spykesgal
    18 years ago

I've had problems with the spray finishes before, so I always use a water base varnish. After all the work I put into a piece, then to have a spray finish ruin it only had to happen once for me. Spray may be faster, but I hate the smell and the thoughts of breathing in the vapors.
    Good luck with your project.

• PRO
    Paul Harmon
    5 years ago

A general rule....you can paint oil over acrylic but you can’t paint acrylic over oil.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH