Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pezabelle

Painting Pavers

pezabelle
13 years ago

I have found a really cute Christmas "welcome" project that is done on a three humped paver stone. So...do you use acrylics or Patio Paints. Did you seal the paver?

It is a very simple pattern, basic dark blue with white lettering and snowflakes. Don't like the idea of the weight of the stone but like the shape and contours, otherwise I would just make it from wood.

I have Googled but not coming up with much.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Belle

Comments (7)

• kraftymom
    13 years ago

You can certainly use regular acrylics, just be sure to prep the surface correctly and seal it well when you're done.

I personally like to use a paint that's made for the surface I am painting on which in this case would be Patio Paint. With the Patio Paint there is no special prep and no sealing, the paint does it all. And if the piece is to be outside, Patio Paint to me is a no-brainer.
    The other reasons I like using special paints created for different surfaces? You can eliminate the added prep and finish steps you need to do with regular acrylics.

Please post a pic of your project when it's done. :-)

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see it when you're all done, Belle. Sounds really neat. Don't forget that you can put some felt on the bottom and use it inside as a doorstop too.

I've saved a couple ideas for those curved pavers too, but haven'g bought the pavers yet. One of the designs I saved was painted like Sants's belt, I can't remember what the other one was. If you have more of those pavers, let me know and I'll email you these two ideas also, okay?

Luvs

• pezabelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Luvs....new patterns are always welcome! TY Here is my addy: Rainbowladyone1@yahoo.com

I tried to add this to my profile but just can't get it to work, one of these days I will try again.

Belle

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Belle, it's not a pattern, just a saved picture I saw somewhere. I'll look it up and get emailed to you soon.

Luvs

• pezabelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OOOppppSSSS....My Bad....I neglected to thank everyone for the help! Thank You All!

Luvs....I have just pictures and no patterns, so maybe you shared the site and I download the pictures. There are curved pavers as well as the one you used to make your turkey, seems like a chick, bunny and several more.

Again, TY All!

Belle

• heartsandcrafts
    13 years ago

Belle, I've painted several pavers and just used regular acrylic paints. Make sure you wash your paver and let it dry thoroughly before starting. After it's dry spray it all over with Krylon Matte Varnish. That helps to seal the paver so it doesn't suck up all your paint. Then you can either use a spray paint for your base color or brush on your acrylic for your basecoat. Remember when you're done to use an appropriate varnish for where it will be used. If it's going to be out in the elements I would use an outdoor varnish. If it will be on a covered porch indoor varnish has worked fine for mine. I also glue felt to the bottom of mine - especially if giving them as gifts.

• pezabelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TY.....I still plan to make the pavers only we didn't buy them soon enough and our local "big box" store won't have them until spring.....go figure! Might just do one in wood to see how it turns out even though I like the dementional effect of the paver.

Belle