Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

Small canvas painting

paintingfool
16 years ago

Ok, I tried the new Plaid High Dimensional Paints and was not thrilled at all. This is my painting I submitted to them using their new paints. It is very small, only 4"x6". I think these paints are great for palette painting or outlining or maybe it is just me and I need to get use to the texture. Anyway, they were free so I tried them out but don't think I would buy them. I thought they would be a bit like tube acrylic but they appear to be more transparent.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)

• sjarz
    16 years ago

I think it's gorgeous! Please go and get it framed or buy a great frame with a matte and put it in it, I'm sure it will grow on you...if not, you could send it to me...LOL!
    Very lovely...
    Suzan J

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Well, I don't know about the paints, but the painting looks awesome! It looks light and airy and I want to be at the beach just looking at it. ha You've done it again! It's definitely a keeper! ~Anj

• oddie
    16 years ago

OMG ! what a beautiful job you have done! I love the transparent look to your painting, seems like it just goes with the type of painting you have done, and feels like you could just walk right into the painting!
    I sooo love it!
    oddie

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Sorry you struggled a bit with the texture of the new paints, but your painting sure came out lovely. Why did you have to submit it to them? I didn't quite understand that part. Maybe you will discover other uses for the paints. I will have to read up on the dimensional paints a bit I guess, I've not really paid attention to them. I love the soft colors in your painting, and your wispy clouds and waving grasses are just perfection. ;o) Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi yall, members of the Society of Decorative Painters were invited to participate in a contest using HD paints. They sent us 10 bottles of HD paint to try out. I had to disqualify myself because I did not receive Burnt Umber but 2 bottles of Ultramarine Blue and you have to use the only the paints they sent (I used a regular bottle of Burnt Umber). But I went ahead and sent my painting in because that is what you had to agree to if you participated in this contest. Anyway, someone who painted a barn won $500. I imagine it was really good because the paint would have been great for the wood texture. I will still try using it but not in the typical way.

I guess you can tell I live near the beach and painting beach scenes is about as easy as you can get. A trick to painting long grasses - turn your painting upside down. It is always easier to pull toward you than away. This way your grass is thicker at the bottom and thinner as you pull up. I have always painted a pastel look - but I keep trying to get a little darker. Glad yall liked it, it was fun to do.
    B

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Thanks for that handy tip PF. Your grasses are lovely and graceful. I was sort of twisting my piece a bit even when I was painting my pine needles on my snowman sign. I don't seem to make "consistent" strokes alike even when I think I am using the same pressure, so I was finding that I pulled the bristles better when I turned it a bit. Guess we learn by trying what will work easiest for us huh? Wish you could have won that prize money! Luvs

• gram_NH
    16 years ago

If you did that lovely painting with paints that you are unaccustomed to.. I can't imagine what is to come after you play with them awhile!! It is simply lovely.

Thanks so much for the tip on doing the grass. I am doing some birdhouses for the grands and was having a real hard time with the grass around the bottom. I just tried one real quick with it upside down and it now really looks like grass!!...instead of daylilly leaves!!

By the way, I found a comb brush!! I was so excited. Haven't had a chance to play to much with it, but did find that thinning out the paint...I really got some lovely practice whisps with it!! Might even get the courage to try a Santa!

Your pics and hints are so appreciated.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gram, thanks so much. When I first started painting years and years ago, I didn't know you could actually move the canvas around but when a teacher told me to turn it upside down, I was thrilled with the results. Now when I paint the piece is turned every which way.

I just know you are going to love that comb/rake brush. Keep your finger ready because sometimes when I use it I have to blot the beginning of the stroke because the paint is so strong there. You might find when you first try using it you need to make your paint inky - just like your liner brush and you will have to reload often. I used the comb/rake brush to paint the pine needles on one of my projects and it worked great.

I will finish my fawn and butterfly, and my two raccoons this weekend and post it. These are pieces I painted recently with Peggy Harris. I finally feel like I am a bit more normal after having taken her class - you see I talk to my paintings the same way I talk to my plants and my car - I know its a bit nutty but at least I know now that I am not the only one doing this!!