Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blaze_gw

Painting antique signs

Blaze
22 years ago

.. or making them seem antique. Does anyone have instructions for painting these? I am looking to use a background that looks antique and painting words on the piece. What paint technique should I use? I have a wooden plank that will fit over my window. I have stained it but think I could paint over it with an antique white or similar color. Should I sand it down to expose some of the stain, or should I crackle it - keeping in mind I will want to paint letters over this. Anyone know of any good websites that demonstrate this?

Comments (2)

• Kelli
    22 years ago

I made some antique signs by using a dark colour as the base coat, charcoal, and then the crackle medium and then antique white over that. I sanded the heck out of them and stencilled my words after that. I also use antiquing stuff by Plaid, you have to spray a sealer on your project first or else the antiquing stuff 'sticks' to the paint.

• LaceyBee
    22 years ago

There are lots of antique looking crafts on Free Craftz Patternz. Each artist explains the technique they use for making it look "antique". You might get ideas there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Free Craftz Patternz