Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftylady_2006

Shutter Shelf for my Sis - Pic

craftylady-2006
17 years ago

I curb shopped two door size shutters. They were cut in half and made into shelves. This is a WIP shutter shelf that I am making for my Sis in OH. She wanted it flat black as it is one of her basic colors in decorating. I still have the second/thirds coats of black to do. However, I wanted to see what it would look like with a floral design on it and started painting it. I am using a small picture of violet and white hydrengea and leaves as a guide. In the third pic I was trying to take away the paint. As I said above, I still to do more black basecoating first. Can I have your opinion please.

Sal

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1410413}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Yeah, you are finally able to get in some painting time! Good for you Sal. You sure have great luck finding great curb finds!

Looks very challenging to paint on the shutters--but you are doing it very well. The colors will look beautiful against that black background, and once your flowers are all filled in, it will look like a whole picture. Your "pattern" picture is sure a beautiful one.

Too bad you were removing what you already had painted, they were looking good.

Do you know about using alcohol to remove your paint? Works better than water, and will often remove it even if pretty dry already. I just buy the cheap bottles at the dollar store--usually two for $1.00.

Can't wait to see the finished project. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Thanks for that tip luvs!!

Sal~ You do have great luck with the curb shopping. I love that shutter idea. Wish I wouldn't have sold 2 small ones in a yard sale. Darn. It looks like a great start on the florals. I like the pattern you are using. I guess it all depends on what your sis would like if you're giving it to her. :) ~Anj

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Luvs,

I had to try and remove the floral - I still need to do the basecoating of flat black and I didn't want that painted area to be (somewhat) sticking up under the black. You know what I mean. Yes, I know about the rubbing alcohol, but I didn't want to use it and have it soak into the wood. I'll use some sandpaper to get some the floral taken off, finish the basecoating and then the floral. Gosh, my sis had first said to do it crackle - what a job that would have been. Even basecoating the black I had to shove the foam brush down in between the slats. Can you imagine what kind of mess there'd be after I crackled it and then put on the top coat of paint. Having to drag the foam brush over the crackle would really mess the paint up, both the basecoat and the top coat. I'll post more pics as I go along.

Sal

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

You are so right Sal--that's NOT the type of thing to do a crackle finish on. I even struggle with it sometimes on a perfectly flat surface. (That whole don't brush back over it part is hard!) That is going to be really pretty when you get it finished. I do have a couple of shutters my neighbor gave me, but I don't have much wall space. I really do like your shutter shelves, and especially all the cute "goodies" you decorate them with. Have fun painting. TTYL. Luvs

17 years ago

Spoke with my Sis last night. Change of colors, she wants peach and dark reds/and dark greens to match the border in her basement sewing room area. I'm thinking peach with a little red highlight here and there hydrangea might be alright. I'll have to do some on a paper first and see what they look like - any ideas for peach colored floral, nothing to difficult please or super huge. Not roses, I painted a homemade flower box for her with pink flowers on a black background - she loves that black.

Sal

• payd6
    17 years ago

oh Sal, this is wonderful! it will be beautiful when finished! you sure have one stroke downpat!!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hey, Sal, what does her border look like? Maybe you could have her email you a pic of it, and use that same pattern for her shelf? Just a thought. I don't have very good luck with reds. If you remember those big boxes I did for a customer at the shop, I tried to do red roses for her. Ended up having to go back and just add some strokes of white for hilites. Good luck with the shelf, can't wait to see the finished project. Luvs

17 years ago

That is already in the works Luvs - will post pic of the border when she sends it to me.

Sal

17 years ago

My Sis sent me three pics of her border - I think I can do this -

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Wow! That could be challenging even on a flat surface--and you are going to do it on the shutter slats! Ok, Donna D. would say "just take it one stroke at a time", and double loading the brush will certainly help make it easier. I would just pick one section that I like best, and just do that part of it. I am sure you will do just fine and it will be beautiful. Pour yourself a cup of coffee or tea, put on some soothing music, and go for it. Luvs

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hey Sal, How's your shelf going? Were you able to practice the border pattern a bit? Is it going to work for your shelf. We love to see WIP pics too. Luvs

17 years ago

Have had to deal with other issues this past week Luvs and haven't been able to do the shelf. My Sis knows it's going to take some time and she'll wait. Thank you for your msg though.

Sal

• diarich
    17 years ago

That is going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see it done.
    We don't have curb side trash pickup here...Wish we did.
    Diana

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County