Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flamingo_in_ar

I'm painting a telephone, Cute!

FlamingO in AR
22 years ago

I saw this idea in a craft magazine, and it's adorable. You take a cheapo phone, $9.96 at Wal Mart, just a plain little off white princess type touchtone phone. Spray it with 2-3 coats of matte finish, on the top of the receiver, and the outside of the base. Then paint your base coats and then the detail. The one they showed was a Xmas scene, red, white and green. I decided to do a primitive snowman on mine. Midnight blue background on the base and top part of the receiver, and part of his big head on the bottom, light ivory, and a long skinny carrot nose with a red cardinal perched on it, and a gold star on the sky, which I flicked with lt. ivory for snowflakes. The flicking really added a lot. After I do his simple face, a couple coats of brush on varnish, and voila! This will be done today, and I started it yesterday, so it's really a quick project.

Wouldn't these make great gifts for people? A seasonal telephone, how different! I know I want one for me!

Comments (10)

• Mcoisi_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

Would love to see pictures when you finish. Sound really cute.

• Bevb
    22 years ago

Which Magazine was this in, If it is current I could pick up one.

• kraftymom
    22 years ago

Sounds adorable! My October issue of Quick & Easy Painting had a Princess phone painted with a stack of pumpkins on it. I thought it was so clever. What a great way to add some whimsy to your decor.

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    22 years ago

It's a current magazine but I don't remember the name of it! Go to Wal mart and look through the craft and painting magazines, it's toward the back on the left page, all done up in red white and green. It's a mag. that advertises for Pack Of Fun, so same company I suppose.......

Yes, it's very whimsical. So whimsical that my husband doesn't understand why I like it as a present so much! Fast, easy, and costs $10! Duh! Clever, different, and nifty! Hello? Men...... they just don't get it sometimes!

I'm going to do several of these for gifts and for me!

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    22 years ago

I looked it up on the web, it's the Dec. 2001 issue of Painting.........

• kraftymom
    22 years ago

Thanks FlamingO. I think I'll pick up that issue today. Judging from the table of contents it looks like it has a lot of good snowmen projects in it (I'm partial to snowmen).

• troysbarbrat_aol_com
    22 years ago

I saw this project done on Home Matters on the Discovery channel about two months ago. They bought used phones at yard sales and flea markets and did the same thing. They used stencils and stamps and free hand painted some of them. They are really nice looking and a great gift idea, especiall for teachers. I saw one that was done with "chalkboard paint" and decorated with apples, ABCs ,and numbers. I am really enjoying this web site.

• nadastimer
    22 years ago

Sounds really cute. This way your phone will match your decor perfectly! May have to try it sometime!

~Leslie~

• Bevb
    22 years ago

Hi, I bought the magazine, how is the telephone coming along? I think I might have to do one myself

• FlamingO in AR
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Oh, mine is finished, and I bought another to do along with a friend that I taught to paint. She's going to do hers like my first one, and I haven't decided yet what to do on the next one. I'm having a lot of fun planning and sketching though. Enjoy doing yours! I do like the Santa one too. Maybe I'll do one like that...... just not sure yet...

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz