Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michele_1

Murals

michele_1
17 years ago

Anyone out there painting murals. I'm just about finished with the first one I have ever painted, a tree of life in the entrance hall. I will send a photo when I'm completely finished.

It's a lot of work!

Michele

Comments (14)

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Mural!! I haven't even painted anything bigger than 8" x 10"! heehee

But, I bet some here have. Would love to see pics of work in progress.

• jlily
    17 years ago

I "used" to do murals as a sideline to make a little extra money. I do not advertise and only work for friends and friends of friends. I'm trying very hard to retire from it all. I'll show some pictures later if you would like. I have a doctor appointment this morning. I would love to see your mural. Jlily

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Yes, Yes! Show us your murals! I've not been brave enough to try one. Did watch a lady do one once and was just fascinated. All that climbing up and down the ladder though--Ugh. Can't wait to see pics from both of you. Oh, and welcome to the forum Michele 1. Glad you found us. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Who posted the pic of the wall outside their bedroom door? Sal, was that you? Can't remember, but it was good. I've never done it, but it looks fun. I Would love to see your stuff Michele! Glad to have you with us! :) ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Anj, I think that was Frances who posted that door. Wonder if that post is still on here? You're right, it was really good. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Oh, I think you are right. Where is Frances anyway? ~Anj

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

Here's a picture of one of mine.
    I have 3 mural albums on Flickr, if you care to look.
    Just browse through anything you wish, the albums list on 2 pages.
    I do get a bit carried away with my murals.

Tips for getting your idea up on the wall.
    My first efforts were to decorate my then 2 year old daughter's room (I wish I had pictures).
    The first one I did were pictures of Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore, etc. We didn't have those stick on plastic things back then.
    I traced out a picture from a book, then I drew a grid on the tracing paper. I drew a larger grid on the wall in pencil to scale. I then replicated each section of the grid onto the wall. If you've never done anything like this or any drawing, it's not really that hard. When my daughter was 10 I showed her how to do this and she made a nice poster for her history project. The teacher refused to believe that she did it herself. Ashley remains miffed about that to this day (she's 25 now)
    Once you've transferred the drawing to the wall, carefully erase your grid lines and get out your paints..
    Another method is one used by Michaelangelo,etc. I've done this one too. It works if you have a drawing that's the same size as the one you want to put on the wall.
    Using a pin, poke holes to outline the subject. When the holes are all done, tape the paper to the wall and rub over the holes with a piece of artist's charcoal....carefully. When your done gently remove the paper, then connect the dots with a pencil. When your done wipe away the charcoal.
    Now for the easiest method. Use an art projector. You can get a basic Artograph for around $50. I got the $200 one for Christmas years ago and I really liked it. I have to admit, though, I've never used it for any of my murals because I always wind up putting them in hallways or bathrooms and there isn't enough room to back the projector from the wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: albums

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Kenne~ All I can say is WOW!! ~Anj

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Gosh, I wish it was me who had a mural in my house, but alas, it is not I.

Kennebunker, your mural in the hallway is gorgeous. I looked at your photo albums too. How beautiful, and a must say, you are very talented. You also show pics of "Sturbridge Village." Is that in Sturbridge, MA. You know I live not too far away from Sturbridge and have never been there. I really should go, I love that stuff.

Jlily, post those pics, we're waiting!!

Sal

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

Kenne: I am DROOLING (do you see the dribbles?) over your murals! Would have to put a mattress on the hallway floor so that I could just gaze at it.

• jlily
    17 years ago

Kennebunker that is georgous! So detailed. I love it! Jlily

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Okay--I think I have to resign from this painting forum! You muralist painters are just too awesome, and now I totally feel incompetent! Love seeing all your beautiful murals. I agree with Rosemary--I'd want to just camp out in the hallway and gaze all day. Kennebunker, I think getting the pattern on the wall would be the least of my problems---look at the wonderful details you did on that mural! Just beautiful. Luvs

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I do especially enjoy that hallway mural.
    Sal, you really should go to Sturbridge sometime since you're so close.

• blueiis
    17 years ago

I went to your album and WOW, those are truly beautiful.