Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Rock painting

netla
21 years ago

Are there any rock painters here? I would love to get in contact with others who like to paint on rocks, to exchange ideas and discuss paints and techniques.

Comments (9)

• minnie_tx
    21 years ago

I've never painted on rocks before but I couldn't resist using my 40% off coupon at Michaels today for a new magazine on the rack. It is Lin Wellford's "Painting on Rocks" $5.99
    It is a regular magazine and has 10 free patterns in it. It looks great and I've never seen a magazine like this before. Worth a looksee.

• netla
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Wish I could get it here. I have three of her books, and they are really great help for techniques, ideas and general encouragement.

• wnlbutterfly
    21 years ago

I have started painting on rocks just last year. Just dabbling still. I painted some smaller rocks with flowers, and put "MOM" in the middle for Mother's Day craft show.

Then in the magazine that is mentioned there is a dragon. I had to paint a dragon for my son, and it turned out pretty good. I would like to do more dragons for shows.

I haven't attempted any other animals just yet, but I have the rocks here and there to work on it. I found that Patio Paints work just fine. And they are for outside.

• ladeebug
    21 years ago

Hi, I have the painting on rock book, Painting animals on rocks, I had it for a year or so before I got the nerve to try, but if you start with the easiest one first it goes along pretty well. I have several rabbits I put out in my flower gardens, they never cease to cause a smile when people are walking by and see them peeping out from under the bushes. I have made several for neighbors and friends and friends of friends. ha ha The hardest part was finding the right shaped rocks, I had two elderly ladies bring me a pail of rocks they went out and found for me after seeing my turtle and rabbit, they were wanting more painted. LOL I even taught the little children here how to paint the ladybug for their mothers for mothers day. I will be glad to help anyone who needs it.

• roserabbit
    20 years ago

I enjoy rock painting, too. I have painted rabbit rocks, a rock that looks like a car,and a monster face rock. I love the Painting on Rocks for Kids. It has easy instructions. It is a book by Lin Welford. By the way, how do you subscribe to her magazine. I haven't seen her magazine.

• jeane
    20 years ago

Hello,

I too paint on rocks, but in a very different way.

I live very far from where I grew up and lived the 1st 50 yrs of my life. An idea grew out of my missing family and friends so much. Now I have a memory rock edged garden. Each time I have a visitor I ask them to paint a rock! They've painted seasonal things, sports logos, alma maters, animals and insects, a rock climber, an eagle, easter eggs and a tic tac toe game - grid 1st then actual game.
    Surely not sellable or works of art but another use for rocks that make folks smile as they walk on the path by the garden.
    Thanks for reading this, hope it wasn't too far off the topic.
    Jeanne

• netla
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Jeane,
    That is such a great idea! I have been letting my younger cousins paint on small rocks when they visit, but they have always taken the rocks home with them. A memory garden is a very nice way to remember friends and family by when you're far away from them. Thank you for sharing.
    I would love to see a picture of your garden :-)

• nancymaggielee
    10 years ago

I painted my first rock as a young child and loved it. I bought a Lin Wellford book called "How to Paint Flowers on Rocks" about ten years ago and it re-inspired me to start painting on rocks again - I haven't stopped since because it's so much fun!

Lin Wellford is the master rock painting artist, and you can't go wrong if you get any of her "How to Paint..." books.

I have written a webpage about my rock painting and the different methods I use, such as stenciling, to transfer flower designs onto the rocks I paint. In addition, Lin Wellford's books are available to purchase through this page if you're interested in learning how to paint rocks using her methods.

Have fun with your painting, but be careful, painting on rocks is addicting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand-Painting Flowers & Fairies on Garden Rocks

• BarrickmanWilliam
    10 years ago

I like to do rock painting and by coming to this thread I got more ideas to explore my painting.

Sponsored
Coastal Residential Solutions LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Virginia Beach