Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glue or Adhesive for painted pot lids

Posted by FlowergirlDeb2 (debbie337@msn.com) on
Sat, Nov 17, 01 at 1:15

Hello everyone! I need some help with a project I have started....actually, my husband is the one who questiond this, so I'm here to ask all of YOU helpful painters/crafters! For some Christmas gifts, I am painting terra-cotta pots, and using the bottoms as "lids", I KNOW I saw this craft in more than one place on the internet, and I neglected to read about what type of glue to use to make any knobs attach on top of the lid! If ANYONE has the answer, or suggestions, please help me! The reason my husband questioned me is because I have already painted some of my lids, and he asked if I knew WHAT kind of glue or adhesive would stick to the painted surface! ANY help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glue or Adhesive for painted pot lids

E6000 would be my glue of choice. It will glue everything to anything and it works great on terra cotta. (For future use it's also weatherproof so it's great for gluing outdoor hard-to-glue surfaces)

For starters I would have glued the knob on before painting. The problem you might encounter depending on the amount of paint you used is that the knob will not be glued directly to the terra cotta but to the paint layer that you covered it with. There is a possibility after constant lifting up on the knob that the paint could peel off the terra cotta surface causing the knob to come off. The E6000 will still work but next time you might want to leave a small unpainted area where you are going to glue the knob to make sure it will be secure when dry. If you can I would try to either sand the paint down or at least rough up that area where you are going to glue the knob and touch up around it when it's dry. The E6000 is paintable.

o

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

one thing that I do when I have to glue a small knob,arm,leg,etc. is to put a small piece of masking tape where the object is to be glued BEFORE I base coat.Just peel off the tape when you are ready to glue and you have a clean spot to glue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here