Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Ideas for old wooden ironing board?

luvstocraft
17 years ago

A friend gave me an old wooden ironing board that is cracked. I am planning to use wood glue and clamps and possibly a board screwed underneath to repair it. I just can't decide what to paint on it and where to display it. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Luvs

Comments (21)

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Hi Luvs,

Check out "paintingonjars.com" by Cindy Trombley. She has done some wonderful wooden ironing boards. I took one of her on-line painting classes once. She has a couple of painting books on the market (check Michael's). Hope to see what you painting, pls post a pic.

Sal

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Crafty, I've seen one of her books, she does nice work. I'll go check out her website for ideas. Thanks for the suggestion. You know I'll post pics if/when I complete it! Luvs

• payd6
    17 years ago

luvs, i posted a pic of one in the gallery!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll head right over to check it out--thanks. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I know I replied to this post the other day, but where is it? I'll try to re-cap. It basically went something like this.....

Luvs! I can't believe you got one of those before me!! ha

I love those. You've got some friends!! Don't forget to post a before pic for me ok. I've seen them made into display shelves, used as wall hangers, even behind the sofa tables. I don't know how you'll display it, but I'm really happy for you. ~Anj
    Have you ever visited primmart.com? The Decorators Gallery there is a fun place to visit if you like old things. I know a few of them have used their old boards in their decor. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Anj, Sorry your first message got lost in cyberspace--I've had that happen before too!

Thanks for another website to check out--I know an idea will finally grab me. I just know it would make a great Santa--but then could only be used once a year. Thought I'd try to find a less seasonal design.

I'll take a pic of it before I start fixing it--then I can do the after someday! LOL

My friend used to own the store where I work now--she gave me some old windows without glass and some other items she had left over too. I've hung those out in the yard, one on the shed and one on the block wall.

I fixed a favorite bench of hers that had the seat splitting and then I whitewashed it and painted vines and ivy on it--wouldn't let her pay me, so now she keeps bringing me stuff she thinks she can't sell, but figures I can fix up and make something with it! I enjoy that--never know what she'll bring next! Luvs

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Craftylady! I went to the "Painting on jars" website and found her ironing boards. I love them! The one with the basket of laundry would be perfect and I could probably make room in my laundry/craft room to display it! Think I'll look through some of my books for a similar pattern before I pay for another pattern--wish me luck and thanks for your help. Luvs

• frances_ar
    17 years ago

I have an old wooden ironing board, too, but I am hesitant about painting on it. The reason is, my Dad bought it for my Mom right after they moved to California in 1948, from a used furniture store. There wasn't a nail or screw used in the making of it, all done with wooden pins, until it started falling apart and my youngest brother repaired it. It's been in my laundry/mud room for years, and I have these internal struggles with myself about painting on it. What would you guys do? I just really don't know what to do, on one hand, it won't mean as much to anyone else in the family as it does to me. It's not usable anymore, either and neither of my DD's will want it as it is when I'm gone, so again the struggle. HELP me decide what to do. PLEASE!!!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Frances, What a neat treasure you have--knowing the history makes it so special. However, since you said it is no longer useable, and has had to be repaired so no longer in original condition--and knowing what great painting you do--I think painting it will only increase it's sentimental value to one of your family members. Just think, having Grandpa and Grandma's ironing board with a special design painted on it by Mom! I'd sure want to keep it in the family! Just my opinion, of course, the final decision is up to you. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Frances~ with your abilities I'd say it would be fine to paint it. On the Trash To Treasure forum there is a post in the gallery by crystalsnap called Scrap Iron. I think something like that would be nice painted on it. Something clothing related.
    I'll see if I can get a link here, but I've never done it before. ~Anj

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dreamer137
    17 years ago

I painted a santa on a large wooden ironing board for someone. She wanted it done in green rather than red so she could display it yearround. It turned out great...I'll have to look for a picture of it.

I was a member back when we had to pay and found it very worthwhile. Seems there is more action now so I'm back & hope to be active in helping other crafters.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Hey Dreamer! Welcome back!! Hope you are able to share your ironing board pics and any others. We are really having a good time here so glad you'll be joining in. Lots of nice people so far. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Dreamer, So glad you checked back here. There aren't too many of us yet, but our little group is growing. We'd love to have you share your pics and experience with us. Please join in on any of our conversations too. Welcome back. Luvs

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Luvs, glad you liked "painting on jars." She does some fantastic work doesn't she. I'm positive you'll come up with some spectacular for the board you have. Can't wait to see it. Doesn't have to be something do with laundry you know, just go for it. I think just plain simple flowers or design on it would look great.

Dreamer, welcome back to the forum. I'm a newbie of just a few months and have become so addicted to the forums on the GW. It's amazing, I feel like I'm missing something if I don't check in two or three times a day.

Sal

• jlily
    17 years ago

Hello, another newbie here from Garden Junk. One of the gals here invited me to come here. I never knew it existed, I also have an old ironing board waiting to be painted- and didn't want to do it in just Christmas motif. So, the clothesline theme would be perfect. Thanks all and to luvstocraft. Jlily

• diarich
    17 years ago

Now don't forget we love pictures :-)
    Hugs
    Diana

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jlily, Glad you came over. Hope you'll post pics of your work here too. Most of us love the GJ forum too. Such a friendly, helpful, and creative group. That's what we try to be here too. Welcome, and chime right in with any comments or advice. I haven't started on my ironing board yet--but it is on my to do list! ;o) Luvs.

• jlily
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for the invite and welcome.
    We are getting ready to go on a short trip for a few days. I'll post some past paintings when I'm back. November is going to be a hectic month- doc appointments and such and preparations for the Christmas holidays. Jlily

• carynscarbrough_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I just grabbed a old ironing board at a church sale.Its top is solid wood and base is solid metal with a little metal shelf for the iron.The 6"x5" label is still on top yet too worn to read maker.This board is so heavy it might have been industrial.The sleeve attachment is solid wood.I have looked all over for information and the perfect idea for it.I would love any ideas.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Caryn, you might try looking for something similar on Ebay to see if it is an antique. You might not want to paint on it if it is. It sure sounds like a unique piece. Luvs

• pezabelle
    12 years ago

Caryn,

I would agree with Luvs....find out first instead of regret later.

You might also try taking a really good picture of the board and the label and sending it via email to any antique shop that has an online address or just take the photo to any antique shops in your area. Couldn't hurt.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I recall seeing a really great idea of how to use the ironing board without doing any damage to it, I will keep it in my mind and hope it click soon. Have you just tried googling antique ironing boards, if you do the visual or pictures, you should come up with lots of pictures.

Belle