Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting on glass plates

Posted by
CAROL
(cabconley@aol.com) on
Sat, Oct 27, 01 at 20:02

I want to make a glass platter/plates with Christmas designs. I'm not a crafty person but thought I could find a pattern in a coloring book or maybe a stencil. What kind of paint would I use and can a simpleton be successful at this? Also want to do something similar with a tennis theme for my tennis partner. Ideas and help appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting on glass plates

try this link, there is a craft on the front page

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Crafts

o

Pebeo paint doesn't scratch off and I think you can put food on it too.

o

Go cheap & buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol (around $1) to primer the glass, model airplane/car paints (around $1 a bottle), & a bottle of Delta CeramDecor Air Dry Perm Enamel sealer from Michaels (around $3)!

That's what I did with an American flag impressed design on a plate I bought at a glass factory, near where I grew up in PA, when I visited family in June.

The plate cost me less than $5, my son & hubby already had the model paints & alcohol, & I bought the sealer. All-in-all I paid around $8 to complete the plate when the glass factory wanted around $50 for their painted flag plates!

o

if you only want the plates for display purposes you can spray paint (walmart brand $.98) and then use regular craft paints, then spray varnish to seal

o

Use apple barrel paints. It gets baked in the oven. It can then be hand washed. If your going to put food on it try painting on the bottom you'll see through it and the food won't be damaged.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here