Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

Rules for Art/Craft show???

paintingfool
15 years ago

Our chapter will be in a local Art/Craft show next month. It is our first time and I need to come up with a few rules for the members. The show has some of their own but we need some for those participating in our booth. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

B

Comments (4)

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Hey Bebe~ I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for since I've never participated before, but on another forum I belong to the girls always complain that one of the rules is that everything should be handmade or handpainted as the case may be, and some people bring in imports or store bought items to re-sell.

Maybe that's not what you are talking about? Can you give us a little more info on what you are looking for. Are the rules for those participating in the booth as a vendor or as someone who's working the booth. Some things that come to mind are how things are displayed, size of the items, food and drink in the booth, how customers are handled, breaks and coverage of the booth, business cards or handouts can they or can't they give them out, accepting checks or not??
    I hope there is someone else who has actually done a show who can give you more imput. Are you going to be working the show or displaying your wares? I love craft shows. ~Anj

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Our Auxiliary has a bazaar every year and we send out the rules and contract before the set-up time and payments must be made before the time of the bazaar.(Exception can be made if you know the person) And as mentioned only hand-crafted items, not something that can be found in a store or catalog, is very important.

Some of our rules:

A vendor removing their wares or closing down before the stated ending time should not be allowed and an imformed person must be in the booth at all times. No children, no exceptions.

We also asked each vendor to help with the following:
    The advertising - tell friends, groups, take out ad's in local publications, putting up posters, etc.(we provide copies of our 8 1/2" X 11" posters)
    Watch for shop lifters in the area around you
    Provide one item as a door prize

As our bazaar became bigger, we now ask each vendor to "work the floor" or provide a floor walker for two hours during the run of the bazaar. This helps in many ways. Our vendors get to see other booths, artists/crafter get to meet each other and many trades & sales occur and it helps with the shoplifting issue.

Hope these help, and if you have time before your event, go to a very successful bazaar and ask and see what they are doing right. Small cookies/brownies and cider always helps as does soft Christmas music and soft scents in melting pots. Decorating the entrance is also an excellant inhancement and shows you vendors that you are committed to "their" bazaar and also sets the mood for the people coming thru your doors.

Claudia

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ang and Pez. With what you gave me and a few I remember from doing shows, I came up with enough so everyone has an idea what they can and can't do while manning the booth. I hate going to shows where it is suppose to be handmade items and then finding a lot of items you can order or buy in the store.

I will take my turn working the booth as will the other 12 members participating. We actually have a really great group but several have never done a show before. They are so excited. Everything we put in it will be hand painted and several items will be sewn with painted faces. I have already completed over 100 ornaments - some in multiples. And the one thing I have relied on for all my ornaments has been a Krylon 18K gold leafing pen. I edge all my ornaments in that and it makes it look so finished.

Thanks for you help. The show is the middle of November and I will let you know how it goes.
    B

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Sounds like you are well on you way to a successful bazaar, be sure to take lots of pictures to share.

Belle

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz