Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antiquing process

Posted by quiltpartner (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 14, 10 at 16:07

When you have a question or problem, I know to check the forum -- all you wise ones are here -- on all topics imaginable!

It's been a LONG time since I've done any tole painting & while I've had the itch to pick it up again, I'm a little timid w/this project. I'm doing a nativity (wood) for a friend & it is all painted, & I'm wanting to finish w/an antiquing. Here's where my memory needs jogged a little. Can I just use acrylic & brush on/wipe off? I don't remember always using oils for this, altho I know I have - a thinned burnt umber that I brushed on & wiped off. The oils give more working time, but I'd rather not re-invest in a lot of supplies I may not use (much of) again.
Can someone out there help me w/this question?? I'd be every so grateful! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antiquing process

Hi Quiltpartner, I don't do allot of antiquing but I think any of the metods you've discussed would work. I'd just advise you to spray a couple coats of sealer on before you do the antiquing so it won't penetrate the wood.

I used to even use that Old English furniture polish and wipe on/wipe off when I wanted to make a piece less bright. Have to be very careful not to get fingerprints on it until it dries though.

Hope someone with more experience hops in here with more information.

Luvs

o

I still use acrylic burnt umber to antique projects and the fool proof way to do it is what Luvs mentioned. After the painting is done, put a coat of sealer on first THEN do the antiquing. The sealer will give you more control in creating a more uniform stain.

o

Thank you luvs & kdraftymom! It's funny but I hated to go ahead w/this until I got a nod of approval:) Tomorrow I antique! Whoopee!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here