Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which should I use for antiquing painted furniture?

Posted by
dawnbee
(mebda64@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Oct 29, 01 at 15:37

I plan to paint a wooden desk a sage green color and I want to antique it..should I drybrush with a brown wood stain or should I use brown paint/glaze combo over it?

If anyone has had any experience with what works best, please let me know.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which should I use for antiquing painted furniture?

Ipainted a 70's dresser in a cinnamon color. I had never used glaze before, but bought a black glaze (it was on sale for $4!). I painted it on very lightly and then wiped lightly with a cloth. It turned out terrific and I have more comments on that piece than any other piece. I think that a brown would look pretty also. Good luck!

o

I have been using a "damp" sponge with a HINT of black paint on it, then going over the piece until i like it! sometimes you will have to use a different piece of the sponge to smooth it out a bit - one tool, one smudge of paint = antiqued! sorry if this is confusing, hope you followed this. good luck!

o

I have used furniture wax mixed with burnt umber oil paint. Spounged it on and wiped it off. I have also used antiquing stuff, Apple barrel brown, found out after that you have to spray the wood first with a matte varathene and then antique or else the antiquing stuff 'sticks' and you can't wipe it off. It looked awful. Have fun with what ever you do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here