Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frances_ar

One Ice Skate

frances_ar
17 years ago

This is a skate I've painted, but haven't gotten anything else done to it yet. I can't find the ribbon I want to use for the laces, and my Christmas flowers are buried in the shed right now. I kinda wish I hadn't used blue for the background color, but it's too late now.

Comments (13)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Frances~ You did a fantastic job on the bird!! I think it's beautiful. I've seen these done with poinsettias before, but never with a bird. It's gonna look perfect when you get the laces and flowers in it. Are you doing a second one to go with it? Just asking because the ones I saw were hanging from the laces in pairs, but yours will look great by itself. I like to see all the different surfaces we paint on. It seems to have an almost iridescent quality to it. Did you use a special paint or do anything special to achieve that? ~Anj

• frances_ar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anj, Thanks for the compliment. I think I'm going to do the other skate separate and give one of each to my 2 DD's. I used the Folkart metalic Periwinkle paint, but it was so dark, I put one coat of Pearl paint over it, and it toned it down just right. Then I used Delta's Sparkle Varnish, and that's where the iridescent look comes in.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Wow! I've never used the metalic paint or the sparkle varnish--but I will sure keep them in mind now after seeing how good they look on your skate. I agree with Anj--great job on the bird and on the limbs with snow on them. DD's will love them! Luvs

• payd6
    17 years ago

verrrry nice job frances! love the colour! :-)

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

Just found this forum. Lucky me. I LOVE paint and have hundreds of bottles. The skate is magnificant! Keep up the good work.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Rosmarythyme, Welcome! So glad your found this forum too! Please put those bottles of paint to use and create lots of nice projects to share with us on here. We love seeing pics of everyone's projects! Hope you will come by often. Luvs

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Very beautiful Frances, I love the Periwinkle blue (one of my favorite blue colors) and I love the bird. You did a fantastic job on it (whether you like it or not, I do!!!).

I painted a black skate last year. I don't have a close-up pic but it has holly leaves, red berries and snow.

Sal

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Crafty, Your skate looks so pretty too! Very festive looking. I think I would be very comfortable in your home--we both seem to like oak and crafts, and florals! Love the pinecone swag too--did you make it? Bet my chances of finding an ice skate in So. Calif would be pretty slim, don't you? Still I am going to make it a point to watch for them now after seeing how you and Frances have decorated them. Thanks for sharing. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Sal, love your skate too. Great choice of pattern on the black background. I like the holly & berries. Ya'll are getting me in the mood to decorate for Christmas and I'm just getting into the fall stuff! ha Great skates!! ~Anj

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

CRAFTY: That black skate is mAAAAGGGGNIIIFICCCEEENNNNTTTT!

• diarich
    17 years ago

That is gorgeous! You are very talented!
    Diana

• jlily
    17 years ago

I love both of your painted skates. I have a friend in Ohio that paints them and sells on e-bay. Just a thought to earn some extra Christmas bucks. Jlily

• Cheri_C
    17 years ago

Great job on the skates ladies!!! You all do such wonderful creations!!!

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions