Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Recycling can be fun

luvstocraft
14 years ago

Thought I'd do my part for the recycling-reusing-redoing trend that's so hot right now. (Actually many of us in the "older generation" have been doing allot of this all our lives--mostly for "economic" reasons or to challenge our "creativity".)

I really hate to part with some of the nice sized or cute shaped jars that things like pickles, olives, etc. come in. I reuse some as storage for leftovers in the fridge and they work great for keeping staples fresh and bug free, as well as holding craft supplies.

Here I decided to use them for some Halloween decor. I added some faux leaves on the tops of mine, but could have also tucked a small string of lights inside them. Keep in mind that you could also paint one green and make a witch or frankenstein or paint one white for a ghost. After I took this picture, I placed these three on my front patio table, they look cute as a group I think.

Hope you will share some of your "recycled" creations too.

Luvs

Comments (11)

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Luvs,
    Great job on going GREEN and such a cute set of pumpkin jars. Endless possibilities for them and it's amazing how the mind gets going after coming up with something like this. (Could put in string of lights, green or white) Can tell how your so ready to paint more.LOL I like your leaves, knobs and raffia on the tops. I'm sure your patio looks very festive with them.

I'm working on a wooden recycled recipe box for MIL birthday. I need to paint more on it and needed a break so jumped on here. So glad cuz I'm smiling looking at your pumpkins. Did you spray paint them with an orange flat paint first? I will post here WHEN I finish it. Only have till next Sunday.

I already posted my jar I repainted for her or I could of put it on this post also. I want to buy MIL something to fill her jar (cho, covered raisins) and thought I would buy recipe cards for her to fill her box. I have several trays ready to paint if I find time but she doesn't do much entertaining so don't want to over load her on those.

Punk

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Here's my ginger recipe box and holder. Don't know if I'll give it to MIL. It didn't turn out that well and I don't want to redo now.LOL Punk

{{!gwi}}
    {{gwi:1444023}}

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Punk, I don't know what you mean by saying it didn't turn out that well--it looks great and I love that sweet little ginger face! Luvs

• anjabee
    14 years ago

Yeah, what's wrong with it Punk? I think it turned out cute!

Luvs...you just gave me an idea. ha Thanks for posting your cute recycled jars. I like how you put the knobs on them too. My SIL sent me some dressing jars from a restaurant that are really cute that she just couldn't throw away. Thought I could do something with them. I have been playing with the idea of painting one as an Uncle Sam and one as a Santa. May do 2 of each and send one set back to her. Most likely what I'll do if they turn out good. Anyway....fingers crossed I get to paint this week so I can get some of these cute Halloween projects done before the Holiday is over. I'm really going to try hard to carve out some time....no pun intended. ha Thanks for the good idea! Got my brain juices flowing. ha ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome back, Anj, good to see you posting again.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who just hates to throw away nice jars. I even reluctanly part with the cans--especially the few that have that pretty white interior--because I know they can be really cute painted up as well. But too much of a good thing just becomes clutter if you know what I mean.

Yesterday, I made a quick stop at a TS. Actually I was surprized to see it was open--thought most were closed on Sundays. Anyway, there was a really cute little jug that someone had painted a little snow scence all the way around the bottom. I admired the handiwork for awhile, but left it there for someone else since I didn't really NEED it!

Just goes to show that there are lots of options besides a piece of wood to paint on and it is fun to know you've saved something from the landfill.

Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Hey, hey, we do think alike. I have 27 little jars in my pantry that are like fancy juice glasses that I couldn't let one of my friends throw out.LOL They are so heavy compared to the glasses we buy now and I thought if nothing else they would be cute jelly jars for Christmas gifts.

Anj, your SIL would love it if you painted her jars and returned them. I can hardly wait to see them so could you get started???

I bought a pair of white ice skates to paint roses on last weekend so we'll see if I ever get them painted. I have a book with a pair and always thought they were so cute.

Glad you two thought the recipe box turned out ok. I painted gingers on both sides and thought of you Anj while I painted away.

I have alot of things to paint on and it's so hard to not have time to just getter done.

Punk

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

Where's the online police? Someone took my post! OH! Well! Guess I get to do it again.

Luvs...the jars are super great! The orange is so smooth and the top greenery match the cheeks. Really great.

Another ideas along this line is using an empty can. I have done this for years, both with Pumpkins and Ghosts. Just punch a hole on opposite sides, add a wire handle, add black crinkly paper, fill with candy.

Punk...Your recipe box is making me hungry, chocolate and mints. Super ginger face! If your MIL doesn't like this I will become you MIL.

Belle
    {{!gwi}}

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Belle,
    I'm so excited you made it to the party. What cute cans you painted. I had a tooth pulled today so I've been just sitting here at the computer but I think it's time to go find a new project to start.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cute cans Belle, I really like the one that spells out Boo. I like how you used the paper shred in them too. The only cans I've painted have been Christmas ones so far.

Things like this get my imagination going--can't you imagine three black cans or jars with orange letters spelling out BOO? Maybe big orange letters and some purple and orange polka dots all over the can? Or maybe some different sizes of "eyes" on the background? ;o) I have a magazine with a design with eyes--I was planning to paint it on some wood blocks. Hmmm, better search for that before I run out of time.

Luvs

• citytransplant(zone5)
    14 years ago

Luvs,
    What adorable pumpkins...love the "hats" Did you spray paint the orange on the inside? I have been saving jars, forgetting why I was saving them, throwing them out, saving, throwing away. Hopefully, I will now safe some and remember why.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Citytransplant, Welcome to the painting forum. No, I didn't paint the insides. I just used spray paint and painted the whole jar lid and all, then I sponged the brown on for the tops afterwards. I think jars make a good painting surface and can be used so many ways, so save some more jars and give it a try! ;o) Luvs

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?