Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using wax to help the wood look aged

Posted by pezabelle (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 12:09

Over in the Gallery, Anj...told how she obtained such a great finish on her Halloween Sign.

She base painted the wood black, rubbed it with wax and then went over it all with grey/gray, then sanded. What a wonder look!

Curious: Anyone ever try this and what was the results? I am going to try it on some wood blocks I am making for the Halloween Bazaar, but I will need to seal my wood after the aging is done and before I add my vinyl words and boots, bats, etc.

Thanks Anj... for the great tip!!!!!!!

Belle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using wax to help the wood look aged

Thank John Sliney! =D Those were his instructions in one of his books! He said just use a candle! I had some cheap white emergency candles laying around and they work great! You can get a whole box of em for $1 at the dollar store! Good luck Belle!! Hope it works for you. Of course you can use any colors over the black paint or vice versa....if you want to paint say red or orange on the bottom and then black on top it would look pretty cool I think!! ~Anj

o
RE: Using wax to help the wood look aged

Belle,
While the look you are ending up with using this technique gives you an aged look, it's called using a "resist" to either keep the paint from "sticking" to the surface or makes it easier to remove a single different colored layer of paint in selected areas.

I'd recommend you seal over the last layer after you've removed the selected areas of paint. Then decorate.

John Sliney designed some nice folk art designs. Using a resist is an old technique that can be used with several different mediums. Silk dyes, watercolors or acrylics. For instance. Have fun with it!

Lynda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here