Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lime_coke

Painting On Screens

lime_coke
17 years ago

Has anyone done this? Would you please tell me how to do it?

Comments (17)

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Hi Lime Coke,

As I just mentioned in Luvs post about the craft show - a gal had the painted window and door screens. She told me she painted one side, let it dry and then flipped it over and painted the other side (same areaas the first side). She had snowmen and other snow scenes. You could paint anything really and it would look good.

Sal

17 years ago

Forgot to mention - if you painted a snowman or other winter scene on a window and/or door screen, you would actually put that screen in a window and display it. I'd use a sealant on the screen before putting it up though. Same thing could be done for any scene/decoration painted.

Sal

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Lime_coke, Welcome to the painting forum. We love it when someone new stops by.

There are lots of pictures in our gallery, and I just bumped up one that Anjabe painted on a screen. I am sure she will hop in here to answer your questions and share her experience.

I hope you will go to the post for newbies and tell us a little about yourself. And I hope you will keep coming by to chat and share pics of projects with us.

Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

lime coke~ HI and welcome! Hope you'll come by often. I've only painted the one little screen you'll see in the gallery. I got the pattern and instructions from a Painting mag at my local library. I think my screen had bigger holes than the mesh screening in the pattern so the holes didn't fill in as good. A tighter weave on the screen will make a clearer image I think.

Sal~ glad you found out that little tip. Good to know to paint both sides for better fill I'm sure.

Anyway, I just used acrylic paint and put a copy of my pattern behind the screen and started painting it. I only did 2 coats letting it dry in between, but I wanted the see-thru affect . I put black construction paper behind mine so the black would show thru because it was just picture size. I'm sure the more coats the better the fill. It does tend to cause a splatter affect when the brush goes over the screening so put down lots of newspaper. If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them, but keep in mind I've only done it once. :) I'm sure whatever you do will look great!

Luvs~ I just curb shopped a screen door Friday (my first curb shopping experience! I was scared to death! ha) I'm excited to paint something on it! ~Anj

17 years ago

Hey Anjabee - too funny, you were scared to death first time curb shopping!! LOL. Not me hun, if anyone is around, I just get out of the car, say Hi, how ya doing, and might say, wow, I've been looking for something like this, all the time smiling and waving when I drive away.

• Cheri_C
    17 years ago

This site has some really cute painted screens.
    Look under the winter and snowman button.

Here is a link that might be useful: painted screens

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Anj--Good for you! No reason to let that great screen go to the landfill when you can use it to make something beautiful! (I've only stopped a couple of times myself and was nervous too!) Be sure to show us a before and after pic, okay?

Sal, you just have that friendly, outgoing type personality--and no fear! Ha ha I know you have found some really great stuff curb shopping too.

Hey, Cheri, thanks for posting that site--I'm going to head over there and take a look.

Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I don't know why I was so nervous. It almost feels like you're stealing even though they have thrown it away. I didn't even check it or anything, just rammed it in the back of my van and almost took my 2yr olds head off. ha Ok I wasn't that close, but when I got home and took it out there were spidey eggs all over it. Hope none got out in my van!
    My DM got cursed out by a woman who had put a little dresser out on the curb by her trash. DM stopped to get it and the lady came out irate because she had set it out for the TS to pick up, but hadn't put a sign on it. DM was mortified. Maybe that's why I've been a little hesitant or make DH do it. ha I don't know if there is a protocol to follow. Are you supposed to go up to the door and ask if you can take their trash? Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent. I'll take pics when I get going on it, but it may have to wait until next spring. It's so big I'll probably have to paint it on my back porch and it's too chilly for that now! Only in the 40's here this week!brrr

Cheri, thanks for sharing that site. Those screens are darling! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I don't know about protocol either Anj, maybe Sal can fill us in. I know I stopped over on the next street for some shutters and an old metal milk crate. Went up to the door and asked. Lady said "Sure, help yourself, that's why we put it out there!" Sorry for your Mom's experience--lady should have put a sign of some kind on it. I know when I wanted to get rid of some patio chairs (lounge type) I set them out the night before the trash pickup knowing the trashman wouldn't take them but hoping someone would. I brought the empty cans in and left the chairs for one more night--they were gone by the next morning! Yeah! ;o) Luvs

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hey Cheri, I really enjoyed that site--saved it to my favorites so I can go back and look some more.

Anj, did you see all the screens? At first I thought it was just one page of each, then saw the next button at the bottom of each. There were some really cute screens, but also painted books too. I loved the idea of the crackle finish, and the way she put fabric through the book so it could be hung! I had put some of my in wall pocket holder things--never thought about just doing it sideways with fabric. Also, did you see the holiday boxes with the candle light in them? Sort of like what Frances did with her coffee pot.

Oh, there are just too many cute ideas! I'm going to be like Slowmedown on the GJ forum and have to try to outrun old age so I can work on all the projects I want to do! LOL

Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Luvs ~ Yes, I have been back to the site several times! I liked the painted photo album. I still haven't gotten all the way thru it, but that is my kinda site! I love everything. ~Anj

• Cheri_C
    17 years ago

Yea, That site has got some really neat things!!! I check that site out a lot.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Hey luvs....If you go to the HOMe page of the site and click on My Prim Home, it shows pics of the owners house. On the 3rd page there are 2 painted wooden ironing boards you should check out.
    Thanks again Cheri, I'm having a fun visit. :) ~A

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oh heck! I just stopped in here real quick. I am meeting a friend for dinner. I'll have to wait till later to check out the ironing boards. Thanks for letting me know about them Anj. Gotta run. Luvs

• colour_me_violet
    17 years ago

I just stopped in while I had a minute. Wanted to tell you I purchased a couple of books recently that had many patterns for painting on screens and the instructions as well. Unfortunatly I am at work and the name of the artist has slipped my mind. I'll check when I go home and post later if you are interested. It is a real neat thing.

• Lynn Berra
    8 years ago

I just took a load of screens down from top of my summer kitchen. I would love to know more about or someone who screen paints. I'm from the Lacrosse WI area.